The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Reel suggestions for Hardy Zenith 8'6" 4wt 4pc (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/314969-reel-suggestions-hardy-zenith-86-4wt-4pc.html)

70boss302 03-28-2013 10:15 AM

Reel suggestions for Hardy Zenith 8'6" 4wt 4pc

Does anyone have experience/suggestions as to what reels will balance well on this rod? Click/pawl or drag? Looking for best combination of aestetics, balance, price.

Peter

MoscaPescador 03-28-2013 10:49 AM

Re: Reel suggestions for Hardy Zenith 8'6" 4wt 4pc

I'm a big fan of click drags on light line reels. Usually they are lighter. Plus they usually start up smoother than disc drag reels.

Check out the new Galvan Brookie B3. It is a click drag reel that weighs under 3 ounces. With line and backing, it balances an 8'6" 4 weight Zenith very well. The machining quality is very high like the rest of Galvan line up. I also like the dimensions. It is built tall and skinny for a 3/4 reel which allows faster line pick up and eliminates line stacking. And at $230, it is great reel made by a great family making a living out of Sonora, California, USA.

Dennis

sweetandsalt 03-28-2013 11:39 AM

I fish this lovely spring creek special with Hardy's own Ultralite DD 4000 and SA's Mastery Textured Trout Stalker. This reel features a stacked carbon fiber drag, excellent arbor diameter to narrow width ratio and a captive, threaded spool lock mechanizem that I have really grown to strongly prefer over traditional Hardy lever and spring or, worse, push button and spring spool release mechanisms...it just can not fail. A great outfit where a combination of sharp reflexes and a deft touch are advantageous.

shimloom 03-28-2013 04:31 PM

Have a Zenith 9' 4wt and put the Hardy UL 2000CC and GPX line. Balance is great. The CC is Click Check and not a disc reel, the drag is good enough for a 4wt and good size fish. As sweetnsalt said the 4000DD is also a great reel for that rod.

Craig

Mrtrout 03-28-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetandsalt (Post 541586)
I fish this lovely spring creek special with Hardy's own Ultralite DD 4000 and SA's Mastery Textured Trout Stalker. This reel features a stacked carbon fiber drag, excellent arbor diameter to narrow width ratio and a captive, threaded spool lock mechanizem that I have really grown to strongly prefer over traditional Hardy lever and spring or, worse, push button and spring spool release mechanisms...it just can not fail. A great outfit where a combination of sharp reflexes and a deft touch are advantageous.

Totally agree, the new Ultralite DD and the CC are very nice reels.
I bought the 2000 and the 3000 click check reels when they first appeared, the spool design is excellent, the narrow LA spool seems to stack the line very nicely.
I also love the captive nut idea, does away with any end float, always amazes me when you tighten it up, how the logo is always dead centre.
I like silly things like that. :D
S.

bmbailes 03-28-2013 09:58 PM

i would suggest the hardy dd or a new allen trout 2. i own a 4000dd and it is a top notch reel but i also own SEVERAL allens and they feature the same captive nut, top notch machining, and a great drag!! i have a very tough choice when reaching for a rod for the day. for some reason the hardy dd seems like its meant for some pristine trout waters, whereas the allens will fit the bill for all my warmwater pursuits and tailwaters. lots of quality reels out there today:)

stuie675 03-29-2013 12:59 AM

I have the Hardy 4000DD in black and love it. I dont use my Zenith much since I am in love with the flying pig rod, but it works great no there, but I go with looks before anything on a trout rod anyways, the weight thing is nothing to me really, just have to adjust yourself to it, and most reels in that weight are typically not far off each other.

troutnut4 03-29-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70boss302 (Post 541563)
Does anyone have experience/suggestions as to what reels will balance well on this rod? Click/pawl or drag? Looking for best combination of aestetics, balance, price.

Peter

I have the same rod and balance it with a Waterworks Lamson "Speedster" and a RIO WF4F and 20# Dacron backing. Love the light feel of this combo.:D