The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM

fly505 will become famous soon enough
Default Lamson-Waterworks drag question?

Hi there! I'm lookin at the Lamson Speedster to compliment a 9wt rod I picked up...question is should I go with the 4 instead if the 3.5. From what I can tell Lamson stepped up the drag to the "intermediate" size in the 4 just like the Velocity and Litespeed. I'm using the 9wt. to pursue musky/pike and occasional trips to steelhead/salmon and salt waters. Anyone have experience with the jump from the smaller conical drag to the intermediate? Differences? Stopping power? Also would like to hear people who use their Lamsons in the salt? Durability? From what I've read here is that they can take on moisture but popping off the spool and rinsing in freshwater and air drying after a day on the flats is standard practice with these reels. Thanks and look forward to any replies.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:27 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lamson-Waterworks drag question?

I use the 3.5 for musky and pike and for the salt. The reel has many years and miles on it as well as many trips chasing salty species and has yet to let me down in any way, shape or form. I never even had a line tumble from being on such a wide spools, one of which is mounted with gel spun backing and most salt species will show you the backing in no time.
I wish I could help on the question of drag size but the 3.5 drag never failed me and seemed to have more than enough stopping power for albies and other species like that. Pike and musky have different demands on the drag becase with them it seems to be brute strength combined with spurts of speed where the salt demands a whole lot of both.
I use the 3.5 on a 9 weight and it works for me.

Rinse off all of your stuff from flies to reels after playing in the salt.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 PM

fly505 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lamson-Waterworks drag question?

Awesome thanks for the reply! Which model are you using? I have a guru 2 on my 5wt and absolutely love it for the trout here in NM, can't say I've had much experience with the drag since I rarely use it for the trout here. When you rinse your reel off do you pop the spool off and rinse everything or just rinse reel which spool intact? Thanks!