The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   9-12 wt what your pick and why (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/315457-9-12-wt-what-your-pick-why.html)

flybum101 04-02-2013 11:40 AM

9-12 wt what your pick and why

in the 9-12 weight even know abels don't have sealed drag but still have a very loyal following in the saltwater world thanks in advance

mrfzx 04-02-2013 11:51 AM

Re: 9-12 wt what your pick and why

If you are willing to go with an "un-sealed" drag, my vote is for Islander. If you have the desire for a sealed drag, then Hatch.

sweetandsalt 04-02-2013 12:16 PM

There is no imperative for sealed drags in big game reels. There are some proven winners including Hatch, Nautilus NV and Hardy Fortuna X that feature sealed drags but Abels, Islanders and Tibors which are user maintainable have robust and loyal followers. I fish both types of drag systems and like both but I will say this; if a sealed drag where to fail on you (and this is yet to happen to me) your are cooked, however, if a cork, draw-bar reel gets contaminated with guck, you just remove the spool, clean out the dogs and drag plate and screw it back together good as new.

flybum101 04-02-2013 12:33 PM

which model of the islanders is prefered or is that stupid question guess the most expensive model lol know they have more than one series of reels don't much about them Thanks you'all this is great guessing more expensive models in the same wt class probably have larger drag surface is thier more like different bearings in the pricey models

kwb 04-02-2013 12:43 PM

I would choose Abel over Islander if it were me...

Both reels will be cosmetically flawless and the drags are similar in quality, but the design "sizing" of the Abel reel is better in my opinion...

I would go with the larger arbor and narrower spool of the Abel Super 11/12N versus the Islander LX4.5 if it were me...

If you want a sealed drag, the Hardy Fortuna X rocks...

MoscaPescador 04-02-2013 01:19 PM

I am partial to the traditional draw bar style of Abel, Tibor, or Islander. These reels have solid drags and tight tolerances that are built to last. They also have a good share of the IGFA records.

All my saltwater reels are Abels. They don't fail. I have a Big Game 3N (8/9) built in the late 1990s that is still going strong after many days of fishing days. My BG 4N/Super 11 reels don't have as much use, but I know that I can grab one of those reels at a moment's notice and fish it with confidence.

Dennis

Edit: A couple of videos.

mrfzx 04-02-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flybum101 (Post 543207)
which model of the islanders is prefered or is that stupid question guess the most expensive model lol know they have more than one series of reels don't much about them Thanks you'all this is great guessing more expensive models in the same wt class probably have larger drag surface is thier more like different bearings in the pricey models

Honestly, I absolutely LOVE the now discontinued Islander AR's (anti-reverse reels). But the LX is a peach. They are strong as bank vaults.

reel aggressive 04-03-2013 07:07 AM

As a saltwater junkie and full time guide I have been through a ton of reels.
Hatch is by far the king of this hill.

That being said there are a lot of other great companies producing awesome product.
Abel, Tibor, Nautilus, and the Orvis Mirage.

axle27 04-03-2013 07:51 AM

I don't get to do much saltwater fishing, but I use an Orvis Large Arbor IV. Were it me, and I fished on salt more than I do now (or had more of an opportunity), I'd get a Hatch. Not saying that the Abel's, Tibor's and such are not good reels, but I've lusted after a Hatch for years...I'd be skinned if I bought one, though.

wishiniwerfishin 04-03-2013 01:32 PM

My first choice for any size reel is Abel, no need for an explanation... Their reputation speaks for itself. And just like others have said, Tibor, Nautilus, Hatch, and Galvan are all good choices too. But the one reel you don't hear to much about on this forum is the Colton Torrent, it's a friggin' beast! I have a Torrent in the 9/11 size and it's more like a 11/13 reel. Right now I have it spooled with an Outbound 10I line and 300yds of 50lb power pro and it has enough space for atleast another 200, maybe 300 yds. The drag is basicaly the same design as a Ross BG but with better drag material and the drag parts are all stainless. They come stock with 12lbs of drag capbility but it's noted they can be modified at the factory to produce 18lb of pressure and it's very smooth, both start up and while pulling. The frame/spool porting looks like a cross between a Mako and a Tibor(not all nice and polished up though) so they're easy to look at. For the price I don't think there's a reel that compairs when it comes to big game reels. Plus they're made here in the USA, and you call Colton the own/designer himself will answer any questions you wat to ask.