The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM

flybum101 is on a distinguished road
Default 9-12 wt what your pick and why

in the 9-12 weight even know abels don't have sealed drag but still have a very loyal following in the saltwater world thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 9-12 wt what your pick and why

If you are willing to go with an "un-sealed" drag, my vote is for Islander. If you have the desire for a sealed drag, then Hatch.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

There is no imperative for sealed drags in big game reels. There are some proven winners including Hatch, Nautilus NV and Hardy Fortuna X that feature sealed drags but Abels, Islanders and Tibors which are user maintainable have robust and loyal followers. I fish both types of drag systems and like both but I will say this; if a sealed drag where to fail on you (and this is yet to happen to me) your are cooked, however, if a cork, draw-bar reel gets contaminated with guck, you just remove the spool, clean out the dogs and drag plate and screw it back together good as new.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM

flybum101 is on a distinguished road

which model of the islanders is prefered or is that stupid question guess the most expensive model lol know they have more than one series of reels don't much about them Thanks you'all this is great guessing more expensive models in the same wt class probably have larger drag surface is thier more like different bearings in the pricey models
Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I would choose Abel over Islander if it were me...

Both reels will be cosmetically flawless and the drags are similar in quality, but the design "sizing" of the Abel reel is better in my opinion...

I would go with the larger arbor and narrower spool of the Abel Super 11/12N versus the Islander LX4.5 if it were me...

If you want a sealed drag, the Hardy Fortuna X rocks...
wishiniwerfishin likes this.

Last edited by kwb; 04-02-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am partial to the traditional draw bar style of Abel, Tibor, or Islander. These reels have solid drags and tight tolerances that are built to last. They also have a good share of the IGFA records.

All my saltwater reels are Abels. They don't fail. I have a Big Game 3N (8/9) built in the late 1990s that is still going strong after many days of fishing days. My BG 4N/Super 11 reels don't have as much use, but I know that I can grab one of those reels at a moment's notice and fish it with confidence.

Dennis

Edit: A couple of videos.

mrfzx likes this.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybum101 View Post
which model of the islanders is prefered or is that stupid question guess the most expensive model lol know they have more than one series of reels don't much about them Thanks you'all this is great guessing more expensive models in the same wt class probably have larger drag surface is thier more like different bearings in the pricey models
Honestly, I absolutely LOVE the now discontinued Islander AR's (anti-reverse reels). But the LX is a peach. They are strong as bank vaults.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 AM

reel aggressive is on a distinguished road

As a saltwater junkie and full time guide I have been through a ton of reels.
Hatch is by far the king of this hill.

That being said there are a lot of other great companies producing awesome product.
Abel, Tibor, Nautilus, and the Orvis Mirage.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I don't get to do much saltwater fishing, but I use an Orvis Large Arbor IV. Were it me, and I fished on salt more than I do now (or had more of an opportunity), I'd get a Hatch. Not saying that the Abel's, Tibor's and such are not good reels, but I've lusted after a Hatch for years...I'd be skinned if I bought one, though.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:32 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

My first choice for any size reel is Abel, no need for an explanation... Their reputation speaks for itself. And just like others have said, Tibor, Nautilus, Hatch, and Galvan are all good choices too. But the one reel you don't hear to much about on this forum is the Colton Torrent, it's a friggin' beast! I have a Torrent in the 9/11 size and it's more like a 11/13 reel. Right now I have it spooled with an Outbound 10I line and 300yds of 50lb power pro and it has enough space for atleast another 200, maybe 300 yds. The drag is basicaly the same design as a Ross BG but with better drag material and the drag parts are all stainless. They come stock with 12lbs of drag capbility but it's noted they can be modified at the factory to produce 18lb of pressure and it's very smooth, both start up and while pulling. The frame/spool porting looks like a cross between a Mako and a Tibor(not all nice and polished up though) so they're easy to look at. For the price I don't think there's a reel that compairs when it comes to big game reels. Plus they're made here in the USA, and you call Colton the own/designer himself will answer any questions you wat to ask.