The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 12:18 AM

plland is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reel choice for a 0 or 00wt rod?

I just got my Sage 00wt TXL this week and for a reel, I got an Okuma Magnitude. I did this mainly because I wanted a lightweight, inexpensive reel with a disc drag. I realize that there are lighter options, some with better drag systems, but I was able to find an Okuma Magnitude for $40 on ebay and after plopping down the $$$ on the TXL, I didn't have a lot left over for a reel. I figured, just like Frank said, even if the drag sucks it's still a lightweight reel, and I could use it on my 3wt TFO Finesse if I ever "grow out of it," or decide that it doesn't balance a sub-2 ounce rod very well.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Okuma, though. It weighs about an ounce less (lined up) than my Lamson Velocity, and cost me less than half of what it would have cost to buy an extra spool for the Lamson. It doesn't have as wide of a range of drag as the Lamson has, but the drag seems fairly decent, and easily adjustible, although I did have to do a little tinkering with it. At first I noticed that when I pulled line out, it wasn't smooth. The reel clicks, and with each click, the reel spool would jerk forward a little. This is not what I was looking for in a "disc drag" system and I could just imagine something like this as being a 6x-tippet-killer. I removed the clicker (simply done with a screw driver) and just as I predicted, the drag was much smoother without it--so smooth, as a matter of fact that I had to compare it again against the Lamson (the Lamson has a wider range of drag, but for what it has, the Okuma's drag ain't too shabby). However, removing the clicker also took away this reel's mechanism for preventing line from unspooling when drag is set to zero. So I made a little modification to the spring that holds the tension against the clicker. I bent it a little so it would hold the clicker more loosely against the teeth of the reel mechanism. The result is that it still clicks when I unwind the line, but the click no longer affects the performance of the drag (as far as I can tell).

Overall, it looks like a good reel, though I still need to get this baby on the water.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:41 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Teton makes one of the sweetest little reels I have ever seen for this size rod. Seems it is the size of a quarter (slight exageration) and smoother then any reel I have ever used. Not sure price point but worth checking out. I think in fishing super light rods which means super fine tippets, the smoother the reel the better. Drag is not a factor though this reel is disc drag.
I have one, and it is NOT SO SWEET. The tioga, the drag drives me insane!! The tension reeling in is matched by the tension that the drag is set on. Wasnt always like this, but didnt take long before it happened. And I have had my magnum spool fall off into the river like 5 times!! Have heard numerous other people say the same thing. One time it was waste deep in a major steelhead streem, what a drag!! Ended up falling in, almost drowning, and losing 2 system x boxes with about $400 worth of flies. Teton's magnum reels just arent worth it. As far as my Tioga, I guess it just needs to be sent in for servicing.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:27 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

just a quick note. teton also is tioga, but the tioga series is their cheaper models.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 AM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

<<Take a look at Bass Pro Shop's White River Classic Fly Reel. It only weighs 2.2 oz. and measures 2.5 in. in diamater. It retails for $89 and the reviews sound good for this little reel. I am going to get one for my 1 wt.>>

I bought one of these reels last year at BP. I got if for my Sage SLT 3wt. The sage was so light and I wanted a light reel to match it. I wanted the Gold color and they had to take the display because it was the only one they had(gave me 10% off because it was a display). It is just a click and pawl only though, no drag. I just love the reel and that rod. All I fish for with it is bream and not having a drag is not a problem. Every one that has seen this rig just has a fit over it.
On a sour note, I noticed in BP's new catalog that it is not offered in Gold anymore only black. I guess that's why they didn't have anymore in stock.
BigNick
Old 02-05-2009, 12:39 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

There was a write up on ultralight gear last season in one of the mags we get in the shop... as I recall the Purist, Evo, Sage, and the little Hardy were the top pics. I would sacrifice disc drag for weight... it's more sporting anyway

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the reel. How do you like the rod????

I recently bought several Ross Evo's that were marked down $100. I bought
the #3 size, because all the Evo's are roughly the same weight.

The Okuma SLV is a great reel in all respects, and is tough as nails. I'm down
to two right now, but bought several on ebay for around $40. They're all
pretty much selling for full retail now: $60. Silky drag, and silent retrieve.
Light years ahead of an Okuma Sierra I've owned for 8 years (+/-).

EDIT: Okuma SLV 2/3 I've owned at least 6 of these reels, and all were 100% wobble-free.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:22 AM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

<<Forget the reel. How do you like the rod????>>>

Man, it's just great. I fought a 4 lb. catfish to a dead standstill on the first day I took it out. Just hang on and don't rush it and it has plenty of butt to turn him. Plus it's so light, under 3 oz and then only 2 1/2 more for the reel. Line and all it can't be more than 6 or 6 1/2 oz. It feel like a feather. Cast like a dream but needs a little power snap to really lay the line out there. It's a real kick to fish with. Plus it's a Beautiful rod. I don't understand why Sage quits these and other beautiful rods like the SPand VPS. Their newer rods just don't have the finish that these rod have. Just my take.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:58 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nick,
I've never cast anything lighter than a 4wt, but I can appreciate that light
weight quality. My wife and I were FF'ing from our canoe last summer: she
was using an 8'6" 5wt; I was using a 7'6" 4wt. After a while, we switched rods, and my the 5wt felt like a telephone pole! Same thing happened a couple months ago. My wife was using an 8'6" 5wt, and I was using a 9' 6wt.
Wer switched, and the 5wt felt light as a feather...LOL!!!! It's all relative I
guess......

That fight with the catfish sounds great! I might have to go buy another
rod before my wife comes back from Florida tomorrow.