The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 02:35 AM

plland is on a distinguished road
Default Reel choice for a 0 or 00wt rod?

I'm planning on buying an ultralght rod as the year warms up, maybe a 0 or 00wt like the Sage TXL. I was wondering if anyone here fishes with such a rod regularly and what your thoughts are on reel selection for it?

I found only one website discussing reels for ultralights, which is by Bill Byrd. He suggest that a smooth drag is an important factor, although in giving this advice he is referring more to playing a big fish from the reel on an ultralight rod, and not really (I don't think...) to stripping in smaller fish, for which you probably wouldn't need to play the fish from the reel (I'm guessing...my lightest rod is a 3wt so I'm not exactly sure what a 0wt line can and can't do in this regard).

The sticking point for me is that reels with good disc drags seem to be a little heavier than reels without disc drags (unless you get into the really expensive ones like the Ross Evolution). I have never fished a sub-2ounce fly rod before so I'm not too sure how the issue of balance factors in with something so light, but my guess is that it's the same as any other rod and you want to have good balance; is that right?

I'm sure Mr. Byrd is onto something when he talks about the importance of drag in landing large fish on light rods, but I just can't imagine myself landing any large fish on a 00wt rod, for one, and for two, I wonder at how a 00wt rod would feel with a 4 ounce reel.

Basically, this all boils down to whether I will be just getting an extra spool for my Lamson Velocity reel (which weighs 4.25oz but has a great drag). Or, should I spring for something that still has a great drag, but is even lighter, like the Ross Evolution (3.4oz in the smallest size), OR, do you think that a 2.75 ounce click and pawl reel, like the Sage 3100, would be sufficient?

A related question springs to mind...are there any inexpensive reels in the same weight range that have comparable drags to Rosses or Lamsons? For instance, the Scientific Anglers system 2L reel weighs 3.6 ounces in its lightest version, but I've never used a Scientific Anglers reel so I don't know how they compare.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Reel choice for a 0 or 00wt rod?

Hi plland,

It seems you have been studying and have everything under control. I think you would do fine with a click and pawl reel on that light rod. The Sage 3100 should be a good match. One thing about the Sage click and pawl reels is the gear is exposed on the reel. You can see it in the Sage picture below. Look through the reel at the back edge. That is one sacrifice for light weight. I don't know if it is a big deal but I wanted to make sure you were aware of it. I don't think you can do better than 2 3/4 ozs with the Sage 3100.

A cheaper option that may work for you is the Okuma Magnitude at $60. This reel is made with Cast magnesium construction and weighs 3.7 ozs. It is a standard arbor reel. Even if the drag sucks it would work for the type of fishing you are describing. It would be a cheap alternative until you decided what reel you want to use.

3100 Spool
Click the image to open in full size.

Magnitude Reel
Old 01-26-2008, 03:14 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

Thanks Frank! The Okuma Magnitude might be just what I need, at least to hold me over until I can afford something in the $150+ range (especially since there are lots of Okuma Magnitudes in the $40 range on ebay). It would be nice if there were a large arbor reel with disc drag in that price range, but I suppose I could always put 2-3x more backing on the Magnitude and it would be like a large arbor yet still fit a full 0 or 00wt line (I think it's designed to fit a 4/5 weight line). Or maybe the extra weight from all the backing that would defeat the purpose of using such a light reel in the first place? haha

I would love to hear from people who fish a 0 or 00wt fly rod regularly about what they think about the importance of a slightly heavier reel with a smooth disc drag versus a lighter reel that would maybe balance the rod a little better.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:39 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

Hi plland,

You may want to check out the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock only weighs 3.2 oz has a disk drag and is selling for $89 and I believe if you buy it now from Orvis they will put backing and an Orvis wonderline on it for no extra charge thats a pretty good deal I think.

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 01-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Flityer,

Thanks for that suggestion. That would be a much better choice than the Okuma Magnitude.

Frank

Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock
Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 PM

tca1954 is on a distinguished road

Hi plland,

I am a light rod fan as well and also have had a hard time finding a good reel for my 1 wt. Orvis. Currently I am using a Cabelas Pretige reel that is rated for a 2-3 wt. line which is a cheap alternative if you are only going to use the reel as a "line holder". However, you will occassionally get that bigger fish on light equip. and Bill Byrd is right, a good drag will be your best friend. Take a look at Bass Pro Shop's White River Classic Fly Reel. It only weighs 2.2 oz. and measures 2.5 in. in diamater. It retails for $89 and the reviews sound good for this little reel. I am going to get one for my 1 wt.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

DOOD!, you need to find a Ross Colorado size zero! wonderful little reel, though now very scarce

Other supa-light options include the Abel Creek series, and the Waterworks ULA Purist reels (holy ****, their smaller Purist is 2.7 oz. WOW!) Steve can get you the Purist- fly fishing - fly fishing gear

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:37 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Hardy... Flyweight less than 3 oz. Their Marksman is under 2 oz.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Teton makes one of the sweetest little reels I have ever seen for this size rod. Seems it is the size of a quarter (slight exageration) and smoother then any reel I have ever used. Not sure price point but worth checking out. I think in fishing super light rods which means super fine tippets, the smoother the reel the better. Drag is not a factor though this reel is disc drag.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:24 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

for flyfishing small trout, i'm thinking in the opposite direction. though i would recommend the orvis BBS for something new and with a disc drag, i'm really liking the older reels lately. even though they are not machined (i'm starting to care for my gear more and more while fishing so i don't feel i need a machined reel, even for the tolerances), the good thing is they can be had for a good price. search ebay for item number 320212988198 . it went a bit higher than usual, they can usually be had for about $40-$50. (photobucket is hanging right now, i'll post a pic later)

i have the 373 on my 3wt. the tan color is a bit unusual, most airex reels i've seen are grey like mine. although not machined, it's relatively light and has a nice click. i love it's simplicity. though byrd's site is talking about larger fish drags are not needed on small fish.

eric
fresno, ca.