The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sandfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM

grandlaker21 is on a distinguished road
Default Pflueger Sal Trout 1558

I have several Vintage Pflueger Sal Trout Fly Trolling reels (Circa 1935),What type of Rod is best suited to use with these reels loaded with wire or leadcore?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:31 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Pflueger Sal Trout 1558

The pflueger web site has incorrect information, and has contained it for some time......... Have you ever seen that thing, its definatley not a fly reel!

There is another brass fly reel, that balances 8 wt glass rods just fine, it's also a tank, Numbered a 1555

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Got another pic to show the caparison.

The web site is wrong, the reel your asking about is not a fly reel. Shame on them.

Click the image to open in full size.

If you look up historic Pfluegers, I know they have it listed as a fly reel........ Its definatley not. Unless your flyfishing a magical broomstick, and pursuing whales.

Last edited by charged; 04-12-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:03 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

he's asking about trolling lines not fly. actually what rod, go for a soft rod when trolling flies on wire or lead. New England style of fishing got to love it..I troll on my pontoon using lead and mono running line on some of the smaller lakes here..
Hardyreels likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old Today, 10:13 AM

dplank214 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandlaker21 View Post
I have several Vintage Pflueger Sal Trout Fly Trolling reels (Circa 1935),What type of Rod is best suited to use with these reels loaded with wire or leadcore?
I have the same reel and it is mounted on a stiff metal trolling rod. My email is dplank214@aol.com. Let me know if you would like a picture.
Old Today, 05:24 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

dplank, you probably shouldn't post your email. Best to conduct private information via the pm function. If you are not familiar with pm (private message)you should learn it and use it.

Just a heads up.

2x