The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reel Balance - An Objective Truth or Personal Prefernce?

After three years in this hobby I now have so many possible combos it's now impossible to count. I have combos i wish would have worked out, but just do not.

After flipping more equipment than I should have..... I personally can care less about ascetics. I setup my rods to feel great...... I now know what feels best to me, and quickly find a setup that suits my casting preferences.

For those who said the lighter the better, I disagree. By scale you can have a lighter rod, but if it does not naturally balance in your hand............ You will experience additional fatigue in the casting stroke. Personally I do not see this consequence as beneficial at all.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post

For those who said the lighter the better, I disagree. By scale you can have a lighter rod, but if it does not naturally balance in your hand............ You will experience additional fatigue in the casting stroke. Personally I do not see this consequence as beneficial at all.
This is probably the reason I make sure the light weight rod/reel systems I use are balanced. The fact they look good too is just gravy but the aesthetic element is an integral part of overall good design.
Personally, I have experienced and appreciate the benefits of lighter weight in balanced rigs.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:54 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

imho it's all subjective to the individual caster.
i know allot of people who like heavier reels
and some who like the new super ultralight models.
so i guess like everything else in our sport.....
"to each his own, whatever that may be"

casey

ARFE
Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

Bottom line suggestion is to cast it before you decide. I had a Ross Evolution 1 on my 4wt and something just seemed off. I never could put my finger on it but it seemed like I was pushing my cast. Once I switch to a slightly heavier reel, the rod came alive. Instead of pushing my forward cast and pulling my backcast, the rod rotated instead.

On my salt rods, I prefer the rod to balance about an inch or so into the grip. A heavier reel might seem to balance a little farther back on the grip than conventional wisdom suggests but it helps balance the rig when you are carrying a lot of line in the air.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Let's not forget that the balance point changes when line is out of the reel and strung along that long lever we call a fly rod. The balance point changes even more when you are waving the mass of the rod coupled with the mass and momentum of the line being cast.
Since the balance point is a moving target the point my rigs balance is too. The epicenter of that point is the winding check.