The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM

tbone153 is on a distinguished road
Default New Reel for BVK 5wt

Hello all. First time to post in the forums although I've been reading here for a little while.
I recently purchased a BVK 5wt that I will be using for trout. I am trying to decide on a reel to go with the new rod. Most of the fish that I am able to get to in my area are between 12" and 24". The short list of reels that I have now consists of the Hardy U DD 3000, Ross Evo 1.5, and Galvan Torque. I have ruled out the Lamson Litespeed due to some of the issues that I have read about regarding the wide shallow arbor. After speaking to some local fly shop employees, I have heard that the machining specs on the Galvan aren't quite as tight as the other 2 and that the Hardy does not compare quite as well to others in this price range.
I was wondering if the experts here might help with their input. Unfortunately, I don't have a shop close by that carry's Hardy, but it is the one I am leaning towards at the moment.
I appreciate any input that you can provide and look forward to your responses.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:01 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New Reel for BVK 5wt

If you don't like Lamson wide arbor reels they have a new mid arbor call speedster which I have been using on my 4wt and like it very much.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I have the BVK in a 9ft 5wt, and I have it matched with a Hardy DD5000. I think that reel is absolutely a peach! I would not hesitate to match that rod to a BVK II reel, which is almost identical to the Hardy DD except for the spool attachment mechanism. The BVK is a clip style, where you simply push a button to realse the spool. The Hardy is a knurled knob that actually screws the spool onto the spindle. Argualby the Hardy system is more reliable, but I have had no issues with the BVK system either.

In any case, the BVK is a very light rod, and you will need a light reel to balance it correctly.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

Hardy Ultralite all the way!!! i own one on my lightweight setup and it is an amazing reel! cant wait to get the c/p version for my 2wt.!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Another vote here for the Ultralite DD. I think you'll find the 4000 will match better than the 3000 though.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 PM

tbone153 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your input. I did order the Hardy U DD today and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Wannafish, I especially appreciate the heads up on the model and I did order the 4000.

Tight Lines
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

You did the right thing. I might even have gone with the U DD 5000. Since it was mentioned, I consider the "captive", threaded spool release mechanizim the most reliable of all. No spring to potentialy fail as in lever or push putton releases. Also, though the BVK reel apears somewhat similar to the Hardy U DD, it has way more flex, a turn-off to me. Also note that both the #6 and 8-weight BVK's we have load better with a half-size heavy line. An SA GPX or RIO Grande might match well with your new #5.