The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM

inselman is on a distinguished road
Default Info on a Hardy reel?

Anyone have experience with these reels: Hardy Uniqua Fly Reel - HRUUS #1? I've had a hard time finding info and reviews on this reel... I'm looking at a #1 for my 4wt rod. thanks!

Hardy Uniqua No 3 Fly Reel | eBay
Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Info on a Hardy reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inselman View Post
Anyone have experience with these reels: Hardy Uniqua Fly Reel - HRUUS #1? I've had a hard time finding info and reviews on this reel... I'm looking at a #1 for my 4wt rod. thanks!

Hardy Uniqua No 3 Fly Reel | eBay
A couple years ago those reels were on closeout for half that price! I don't think they sold well and the line of Uniquas that replaced them is on closeout now as well. I think I would pass at that price but I have not handled one myself.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Welcome to the forum,

I have no experience with the reel you ask about but............. The eBay link goes to a #7/8 size, are the #1 reels designed the same but with a clicker drag? They look very much like a copy on the old CFO reels that Hardy built for orvis through the years.

Depending on the price being ask I would think they would make a fine reel for a 4 weight rod. Another option would be an old Battenkill in the 3/4 size. There have been some gems sold on auction lately, not a single scratch.

Ard

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

Just looked at that price!

PASS, you can get a vintage CFO in mint shape for that money.

Wannafish got that right!
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-17-2013, 02:32 PM

Thanks! I found them for half off... I just want to make sure i'm getting the real thing instead of some rip off version for 90 bucks. Also, they must have been discontinued QUICK, because I can't find ONE review! To gamble or not to gamble...

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

here's the actual link to where I was looking...

Hardy Uniqua Fly Reel
Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I don't have any experience with that particular reel. Like Ard mentioned, it is very reminiscent of the Hardy made CFO reels but with a knob more similar to the newest Orvis made CFO's. It's a Hardy, how bad could it be? .

Looking at those specs, 2 3/4 and 3.43oz that's going to be a small and light reel. You'll not get a whole lot of backing on it, which is OK in theory because you'll likely never use it. More backing would add more weight though and that might be a good thing depending on your preference. This one would be too small and light to suit me on a 9wt, but 8 and under would be more appealing.

What size is your #4 rod and what is your budget for a reel?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 PM

I'll be putting it on a 4 wt. St. Croix Imperial 8.5 ft. My budget is about 100.00... I'm having a hard time deciding if I should spend 100-150 on a decent reel (this one, Orvis Battenkill, etc...) or if I should get a 40 dollar Okuma Sierra and bank the money for something else.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There is no doubt that the Okuma would do the job and God knows you will need money for more stuff

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

from my experience with both the battenkill and sierra, the 4wt reels are not big enough to balance an 8 1/2' or 9' rod. I was given an older okuma magnitude 4/5 (same reel as sierra) and it is tiny! My father uses a battenkill and he had to go with a BBSIII to balance his 9' T&T Paradigm. Just beware.

On another note I purchased a Hardy ultralite a few months back and I love it! Deals are out there to be had, just gotta search em out. I found this reel, with a $100 line of choice for $200. As we all know a new reel deserves a new line right?

Best of luck on your search.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

The Okuma Sierra is a good option and would serve you well. You could consider a 5/6 model but I suspect the 4/5 would be just fine. The standard arbor reels are smaller in nature compared to large and mid arbor models. Just look at Okuma's website and see what sort of backing capacity you can get on them.

Another decent option for a new reel is the LL Bean Pocketwater. $80, free shipping and the legendary Bean guarantee.

Here's another that you can't go wrong with as Orvis will service your reel for as long as you own it. I have nothing but positive things to say about their warranty and repair.

Click Pawl Fly Reel / Battenkill Reel -- Orvis

Pocket Water Fly Reel: Reels | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Other than that, there are deals to be had if you have time to be patient.