The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:48 PM

peter hanman will become famous soon enoughpeter hanman will become famous soon enough
Default looking not to break the bank

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I was looking for some advice about reels that won't cost more than $100. I just got at 3-5wt and 7-9wt topflite reels for my 5wt and 8wt rods. Firstly I was wondering anyone's thoughts on these reels and if there are any other good brands that don't destroy my wallet that I should know about. Secondly I was wondering about reel oil. What brands should I use? How often should I oil my reels?

Many thanks, and happy fishing!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: looking not to break the bank

Peter, welcome to the site! I've been using Okuma Reels for several years & like them very much. Not expensive, good quality for the price & have held up very well. I have a couple of Sierra's & Integrity's. I rarely fish for trout, so the Sierra's get used for panfish on 3 & 4 wt rods, while the Integrity's get used for LM bass, SM bass & Striped bass on 8, 9 & 10 wt rods.

On my 6 wt is a Lamson LP-2 reel that I bought in 1989. This was before they became Waterworks/Lamson. It's no longer made & is still going strong. Lamson reels are generally more expensive than the $100 limit you've set, but if you can find one for that price or under, they're a fine, well made reel.

I use 3 in 1 oil on my fly reels. You really don't need a special oil, and any light reel oil will work. With hard use, I'll clean & oil them 2 or 3 times a year unless they get dunked, then I'll do it more often. I also fish in brackish water quite a bit, so have to be concerned with salt. Have never had a problem with any fly reel in the 47 years I've been fly fishing.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the forum, I'll let others give you the reel lowdown but wanted to say Hi.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I'm lovin' my Allen Trout reel. I know many other folks here like them too.
Great company to work with too. Affordable quality gear.

welcome by the way.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum peter
although i cant speak for the reel you mentioned, i can highly recommend allen fly reels.
in particular the new ats reel, which also falls right in your price range
ATS Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store
good reel for the money and absolutely awesome customer service.
plus if you were to get it now, you'd qualify for their deal of the week
Free Compass WFF Fly Line - Allen Fly Fishing Store
sweet deal
and allen is a sponsor here

casey

ARFE
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Hi Peter--

I don't have any experience with topflite reels, but I can recommend the LL Bean Pocket Water reel for your 5wt. It's a little loud for my taste, but performs very well and has an ironclad warranty--all for a helluva price.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:03 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

+1 for Okuma... Great reel at a real bargain... Have 2 SLVs and an Integrity..

Echo Ion is another solid reel to look at...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:21 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Like these guys have said, the Okuma SLV is a great reel, as well as the Echo Ions. The Ion, IMO, is a more solid reel (it's also $50 more than the SLV's) with a very solid drag.

You really would be hard pressed to go wrong with either of these reels.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Okuma reels are good value for the money, and I own several myself, but they do have a large foot that doesn't fit on all rods. If you want an Okuma, best to try it on the rod you're planning to use before you buy it. If you can't, at least buy it from someplace that has a no-questions-asked return policy, just in case you bring it home and find it doesn't fit.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter hanman View Post
I just got at 3-5wt and 7-9wt topflite reels for my 5wt and 8wt rods.
If you have not done so, line them up, and fish the snot out of them. Let us know how they work. The 3-5 weight model can't be that bad especially since it will most likely be a line holder.

Quote:
Firstly I was wondering anyone's thoughts on these reels and if there are any other good brands that don't destroy my wallet that I should know about.
Sorry. I just learned about Topflite reels from this thread. As for sub $100 reels, check out the selections from Orvis and Redington. Usually my first choice for a lower price pointed 8 weight reel is a Lamson Konic 3.5. It cost more than what you want, but sometimes you can snipe one from eBay under $100.

Quote:
Secondly I was wondering about reel oil. What brands should I use? How often should I oil my reels?
Jim already gave a good response about oil.

Dennis