The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By trout champ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM

selahflyman is on a distinguished road
Default What weight reel for a Sage One 10' 4 wt?

Question: I've decided to buy a Sage One 4100 (10' 4wt), and I am wondering what reel weight (in ounces) will best balance the rod. I've considered a few different reels (line size 4) from various manufacturers (Sage, Lamson, Hardy, etc.), and have noticed that the weight of the reel can vary by an ounce or more (e.g., from 3 3/4 oz to 4 7/8 oz). I will use the rod primarily for throwing nymph rigs. How would the reel weight affect "fishability" in terms of 5 or 6 hours of fishing nymphs on big water (repeated casting and mending)? What are the pros and cons of a lighter weight reel verus a heavier weight reel with a 10' 4 wt rod that weighs 3 oz.?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What weight reel for a Sage One 10' 4 wt?

Read the following two threads.

Reel Balance - An Objective Truth or Personal Prefernce?

Matching Rod to Reel

You could use the search functions to find more answers as well.

Dennis
Old 04-27-2013, 09:34 AM

Great info! Thanks so much.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good job Dennis,

Here's the most current offering; How important is rod/reel balance?

It almost looks as if we are coming to some sort of agreement as to what 'Balance' might be taken to mean in a rod & reel match up.

I do think that a fairly large reel should look and feel right at home on a 10 foot rod if that's any help.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-18-2013, 08:26 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I fish a 10' 5wt Sage RPL that I purchased back in 1992. It is a great nymph rod for bigger rivers and paired with the right line it's quite dry fly savvy as well.

Over the past many years this rod has had several reels lashed to it and each changed the way the rod felt and cast-

1) Lamson LP3. This was the first reel on this rod and it was kind of heavy in my opinion. The added weight of the reel seemed to dampen the action a tad as well as be tiresome after a long day on the water.

2) Sage 5200. The 5000 series reels made by Sage in the 90s were pretty much an Abel. It was lighter than the Lamson but still a tad heavy for what I was after. Thinking back it may have been the 5300.

3) Sage 707. After some looking around I found one of the Sage 700 series reels that were made in Sweden by Loop/Danielsson. Even though this reel was made for a 7wt rod they are very very light. When I put this reel on my 5wt the rod seemed to come alive. I moved the Sage 5000 series to my 10' 6wt Steelhead rod.

4) Abel Super 5N. This is the current reel and the one pictured in my avatar. This reel feels that it was made specifically for this rod. Perfection.

So, with all that said if the 10' 4wt were mine I would look very hard at an Abel Super 4N, a Bauer or go vintage with a Sage 505 or 705. A J Ryall number 4 would rock also. In any case that is a great rod and I would want an equally great reel on it.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM

Thank you all for your input--I appreciate it. I recently purchased the rod and paired it with a Sage 4250. It feels a little tip heavy, but I'm going to fish it some more before I make a final conclusion. I'm making a trip in a few days to fish the Green River in Utah, and then Henry's Fork in Idaho on the way home. That should be a pretty good test--I'll let you know.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:39 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Wish i saw this before. I paired mine with a Ross Evo LT 1.5. I was going to go with a Sage 4230, but they did not have the color I wanted. The 4230 would be killer on that rod!

Randy
Hardyreels likes this.