The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ported vrs solid reels ?

Michael,

If salt water fishing - epecially if you wade- I would not recommend any ported reels myself that do not have hermetically sealed, proven totally waterproof drags.

Solid wall frames and solid cheek spools on the drag side are fine for salt if they have easily accessible drags - like Tibors, Abel's etc. If surf fishing, a lot, I'd still prefer a reel like the Nautilus or a Mako (if you've got the budget).
Old 06-27-2013, 09:44 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Michael,

If salt water fishing - epecially if you wade- I would not recommend any ported reels myself that do not have hermetically sealed, proven totally waterproof drags.

Solid wall frames and solid cheek spools on the drag side are fine for salt if they have easily accessible drags - like Tibors, Abel's etc. If surf fishing, a lot, I'd still prefer a reel like the Nautilus or a Mako (if you've got the budget).
Jim, Help me understand your reasoning.
Would it not be easier to rinse your line and backing after playing in the salt and wouldn't that all dry faster with a ported reel?
Do you really trust any reel to have a truly hermetically sealed drag?
Thanks,
Jack
Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 PM

petee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to all

My $.02: Non-ported are great looking for Bamboo and Glass rods. As far as weight? Not a big deal, if I can't sling a rod all day long, I need to find another hobby. But, then again I fish Bamboo or Glass 99.9% of the time so weight means nothing to my fishing preferences.

Salt water: Right now I fish two Abel Switch reels that are ported. Why? Because that's what I bought. I like the fact that I can really rinse them off and never worry about moisture sticking around too long causing any kind of corrision. Then again they are Abels so I don't expect corrosion. Anything that touches salt.... reel, flies. pliers ect... gets soaked in a bucket of fresh water on the ride home. So everything is wet thru and thru. Abel Switch reels are click and pawl so soaking a cork drag does not come into play.

To me, non-ported are simply the best looking, most traditional reels and if I had it to do all over again I would only get non-ported reels

Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 07-01-2013, 01:48 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster
Would it not be easier to rinse your line and backing after playing in the salt and wouldn't that all dry faster with a ported reel?
Do you really trust any reel to have a truly hermetically sealed drag?
Jackster,

I just strip the line off and rinse it then apply line dressing after using it. I don't worry about the backing - I'll be dead long before the anodizing gets eaten through even if it stays wet. Although I use JB hollow spectra for backing, I've never had a problem with dacron rotting in the past either.

I trust the Nautilus and Mako waterproof drags. I have never heard of any problems with Mako whatsoever - even from one that was lost on a reef and retrieved the following year with scuba gear. The drag setting was still perfect, and the owner just pried the barnicales off it and fished with it.

The only problem I've heard of with the new Nautilus was one reference somewhere on this site, but he didn't specify what the problem was and I can't find the post. I've heard of no others on any other sites or from guys I know who sell them. I've had no problems with mine at all either, though it's only a bit over a year old. It's handled about a dozen large tarpon so far wthout any issues and I really like it.

The semi-sealed drags I don't like at all as I've had trouble with both the brands I own. The salt water gets into them and they quit working properly. I have a two Coltons and a Ross BG 5 that way. The only way to clean them is to submerge them in hot soapy water while spinning the spool backwards. But this also removes the grease, and cuts way down on the life of everything.

It also weakened the bond between stainless plate and friction disc on one of the Coltons , and it tore off the stainless and jammed up inside the drag housing - ruining it. Fortunately, only a pesky little Cuda was on the other end.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest1 View Post
The race to be the lightest is producing junk in my opinion. If you drop some of these spiderweb framed reels they can warp. Plus if you think balance is important, I don't, then to light will run the point off the grip forward. You can't get a reel so hearvy it won't balance at least in some comfortable spot on the grip.

The race for the lightest is being driven by marketing. Not common sense and practicallity. I believe it is leading to detrimental things and at some point will swing back the other way, probably convinving us that we need brand new more durable reels.
I agree with you. In my younger days I was really big into mountain biking, Back then I always strived towards building the lightest possible racing bike imaginable. (spent way too much on products that were basically designed to fail). After several years of breaking costly gear. I've learned there is a compromise between the lightest available, and durability. There is also a negative association between the cost of gear, and the likely hood that its going to fail.

I was never a professional biker, and I'm also sure that I'm not a professional fly fisherman. Today I don't need the best, just some quality items I have faith in.