The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Ported vrs solid reels ?

Is there any negative side to purchasing a reel with solid spool and frame ? Or is a ported frame and spool better for some particular reason ?

Thanks

Michael
Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Ported vrs solid reels ?

Manufactures began porting to reduce weight, a Hardy Perfect is a good example of a solid reel that is also a very good reel. Able and Ross along with J. Austin Forbes made some exquisite solid reels. Valentine and Tibor also come to mind in a thought, there are many others I'm sure.

If you have your eye on a reel that is not ported I believe you should have it I'm going to spring for a Perfect 4 1/4" left hand wind one of these days.
kelkay, caseywise and baseman1 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Manufactures began porting to reduce weight, a Hardy Perfect is a good example of a solid reel that is also a very good reel. Able and Ross along with J. Austin Forbes made some exquisite solid reels. Valentine and Tibor also come to mind in a thought, there are many others I'm sure.

If you have your eye on a reel that is not ported I believe you should have it I'm going to spring for a Perfect 4 1/4" left hand wind one of these days.

looking forward to seeing the perfect..........
plus the rod you have to have for it

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The race to be the lightest is producing junk in my opinion. If you drop some of these spiderweb framed reels they can warp. Plus if you think balance is important, I don't, then to light will run the point off the grip forward. You can't get a reel so hearvy it won't balance at least in some comfortable spot on the grip.

The race for the lightest is being driven by marketing. Not common sense and practicallity. I believe it is leading to detrimental things and at some point will swing back the other way, probably convinving us that we need brand new more durable reels.
fredaevans, caseywise and leithel like this.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:42 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Besides making reels lighter in weight, porting allows your line and backing to dry faster.
I'm willing to bet manufacturers would have ported reels long ago if they had the CNC equipment back then to do so. Without programmable machining centers porting would have been a very labor and time intensive interprise.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Solid reel just looks so damn classy though. I'm gonna be putting pennies away maybe for a solid reel...don't have to have it,,but I sure want one. I'll see what all is offered,,thanks for the tips.

Michael
Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about

My next trout reel is going to be solid. I don't have one yet and it would be nice to mix it up a little.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

When fishing light (6wt & below) reel/line/rod then the porting does not have much effect.

However just pick up an older Penn Saltwater or Fin Nor reels for 7 thru 12 wt use then pick up just about any of the current models (save 'heavy tibors"). That weight difference is huge, love the old "wedding cakes" but they feel like anchors after a days fishing. We do lots of salt water wade fishing which involves 3-5 hour wade with hundreds of blind casting. Your arm will love the lighter ported reels.

Even if you are standing on a casting deck and only sight casting, your still holding a very heavy un-ported reel. After the end of the day your arm will speak to you.

Some arguments have been of the strength of solid versus ported but that has been negated by simply the now decades of success of ported reels.

With the more sealed drags of today the porting does not add to corrosion issues.

Pete A.
russellb likes this.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:34 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I totally agree with Pete, one of my steelhead rods is a Sage Moderate Action graphite from the 80s. This is a pretty heavy rod to begin with and lashed to it is a Lamson Saltwater Series "Bonefish" reel. These reels were made for a short period of time and were very similar to an Abel in terms of drag.

Anyhow, the reel weighs in at 342 grams or just over 12 ounces, spending a few days casting for steelhead or striper and that 12 ounce reel is going to beat you up. For comparison the current Abel Super 9N is 8.4 ounces, about 9.5 with line and backing.

On the smaller rods- an Abel Pt.5 is 5 ounces and the ported version is 4.6. There have been times where this would make a difference for me, but that is likely personal preference.

As an example- years ago I purchased a Sage 7'11 4wt LL and put a first generation Lamson LP 1.5 on it. Good reel, but solid frame and spool back and I noticed that the weight had an impact on how I felt about the rod's action. I swapped the reel out for the new fully ported version of the 1.5 and the rod took on a different feel- more lively.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

Not better, just different. I have both kinds and enjoy them all. Since the solid face reels are heavier I mostly use them on bamboo fly rods.