The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Carbon fiber when?

I get it now, the old Graphite BFR reels are molded and machined graphite composites and not the real deal. I will be watching for Badfishcreek's thread, it would be very cool to see a member make one of these.

Pete are you watching this thread?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-02-2013, 05:06 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

those old cg reels wore out at the shaft. I fished them for shad and after a few seasons they began to wobble..sold them off
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 05-02-2013, 05:40 AM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough

After a days worth of just running ideas in my head here is where I think I am going to start. I am in the planning stages of my next rod build. I could go with a 3/4 wt or a 5/6wt. I already have a 5wt so a 3 or 4 wt it will be. With that said I will need a 3/4wt reel! So why not build one myself right!?!? Looking at a 3" dia spool(need to figure out the width still). Simple click pawl to prevent spool over run with old school palm drag. Something mid arbor, with a couple of bearings for good measure. I am sure it will take me some time to truly get my head around a workable design but let's see where we can go with this thing!
noreaster likes this.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish creek View Post
After a days worth of just running ideas in my head here is where I think I am going to start. I am in the planning stages of my next rod build. I could go with a 3/4 wt or a 5/6wt. I already have a 5wt so a 3 or 4 wt it will be. With that said I will need a 3/4wt reel! So why not build one myself right!?!? Looking at a 3" dia spool(need to figure out the width still). Simple click pawl to prevent spool over run with old school palm drag. Something mid arbor, with a couple of bearings for good measure. I am sure it will take me some time to truly get my head around a workable design but let's see where we can go with this thing!
I love your adventurous spirit. I really enjoy seeing folks make their own gear. This will be really neat to see unfold. Goodluck carbon fiber pioneer. And I think you picked a good place to start with the 3/4 wt. Definitely a market for a light strong reel in the lighter weights.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 AM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough

This won't be anything mass produced just a one off reel for myself. General layout is a carbon fiber open bore spool(3" dia x1" wide, 2" arbor), simple click pawl drag. I have the carbon fiber and some other materials ordered and on their way to me. I will draw up the basic CAD design in SolidWorks once the raw materials gets here so I can verify specs first.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Badfish, sounds great. I think you are onto a great deal.

Pete A.