The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Carbon fiber when?

The only carbon fiber reels I've seen on the market are cheap injected molded economy items.

However just reference other sports with highly stressed components requiring a high degree of dimensional stability required and high corrosion exposure. Carbon fiber has taken over, not cheap injected molded c#@$ but well designed hand laid up products.

Top end bicycles have replaced aluminum on cranks with carbon fiber, minimum breakage, highly stressed, exposed to corrosion and high cycle rate. Cranks have to be stiff and keep is dimensions (or unwanted chain slips would plague their use).

Archery is now going to carbon fiber for the riser (not just the limbs) that has high stress and critical need of dimensional stability.

I'd love to see a fly reel maker step forward with the kind of carbon fiber use that eclispes the cheap injected molded cheap reels. A truly enginnered carbon fiber reel. One that is durable, corrosion proof and light.

Pete A.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Carbon fiber when?

Hi Pete,

You probably know I like the old classic stuff, however back around 1994 a friend gave me a graphite reel made in the late 80's early 1990 period. As the years went on it kinda grew on me and I began using it. They were made by BFR I believe and sold with the Cortland name. The drag was fair but not the smoothest start up but for streamer fishing with heavy leader the reel has been very useful.

I understand this isn't what you're talking about but here's a Cortland Graphite LTD 60.
Click the image to open in full size.

They built them to have a 'Marquis like' look about them with disc drag and palming rim. I use it each year on small creeks here.

I just can't stand to see a thread go without a reply
baseman1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...57t-ch-010.jpg
Vivarelli has been making carbon reels for 30 years...they're very popular in France...I've got some and they're very reliable and solid. The drag is a bit difficult to adjust,but they're great reels.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Sage makes one, the 3800 CF series. The frames are all aluminum and the spools are CF. I have one, its a pretty decent reel, abit over priced IMO but its a nice reel.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 AM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough

Oh wow...Sage calls the 3800 CF a carbon fiber spool????? Looks like injection molded glass filled nylon to me! That is not "carbon fiber" in the sense that Pete is talking about. I am sure he is looking for the slick weave pattern of REAL carbon fiber.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Ross's F1 is a hybrid machined aluminum with extensive use of carbon fiber and many stacked disc drag reels emply carbon in the drag systeem too.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've personally never seen a carbon fiber reel.
lots of composite injected molded reels, but never carbon fiber.
as s&s said, the ross f1 uses some carbon fiber in its design, but the main
structure of the reel is machined aluminum.

casey

ARFE
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM

badfish creek will become famous soon enoughbadfish creek will become famous soon enough

Well shoot....I am needing a new reel for my next rod build. But I can't seem to locate an unanodized model so I can do my own custom anodizing on it. Now with all of this carbon fiber reel talk I think I am going to break out my CNC milling machine, dust off my lathe, break out the mold making gear and build myself a new reel....carbon fiber style!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:31 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish creek View Post
Well shoot....I am needing a new reel for my next rod build. But I can't seem to locate an unanodized model so I can do my own custom anodizing on it. Now with all of this carbon fiber reel talk I think I am going to break out my CNC milling machine, dust off my lathe, break out the mold making gear and build myself a new reel....carbon fiber style!!!
Please keep us updated on your progress!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

^^^^+1!!!!

ARFE