The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Economical Premium Reel Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I'm waiting for Sweet&Salt to show up here and lay waste to all you Lamson Konic fans! (He has a big issue with the width of the spool, if you haven't heard).

FWIW I do not own one, but am looking at the Hardy line-up of Ultralites. Just beautiful lines on a contemporary style reel. From the Click Check starting at $169 to the DD at $225, to me you can't get much better. And if you're interested in the idea of one reel and multiple spools, which is an excellent plan I think, you'd have to consider the Ultralite CLS which uses cassettes rather than spools. The reel starts at $260 but the cassettes are $13! One new spool for any of the other less expensive reels and you've already done over the CLS and a couple spare cassettes.

I'm not sure if these reels are still made in England or not. It's hard to believe they are for the prices. Either way, they are still highly reviewed.

I bought a used Ross CLA from someone here on the forum, but I just can't stand the color, so I'll probably sell it and get a new reel for my new 5wt. These Hardy's will be hard to pass up!
I have a DD4000. IMO it is a wonderful reel. Absolutely Stunning. I found a shop owner in WY to sell it to me for $200 with rio gold spooled with super sexy hot pink backing.

I bought the reel based on the opinions of S&S and a few others. Dont be afraid to search out a deal. They are out there. Best luck!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM

jastrout is on a distinguished road

[quote=rawtrout;551624][/quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Of the "economical premium" reels, I would give a hard look at the Galvan Rush LT 4 or 5. The Rush LT series is the same as Galvan's top of the line Torque Series, but the Rush LT uses simpler porting. The drag systems are the same. The spools are interchangeable between series.

Galvan is a family run business based out of Sonora, California. Most likely the hands of a Galvan family member touched the reel. If you have any questions or issues with a Galvan reel, you will be talking with one of the Galvans.

In regards to its superior customer service, the topic has come up many times.
Galvan Reels CS/Warranty Rocks!
Galvan Rush: Drag Question
Galvan Customer Service!

Here in Northern California, most guides I know use Galvans as personal and client reels. They could get any reel at professional prices, but they support Galvan. It is a well made piece of equipment, that one does not have to worry about failing.

Dennis

Edit: A Rush LT will cost you more than the sub $200 that you had in mind, but the reel will last. The shop that I used to work at has 10 year old Galvan Torque demo reels that are still going strong.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That is a super sweet deal!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:42 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtrout View Post
Waiting for the pics from the guide (he's a professional photographer too so he took the pics).
My guides exact words were "Oh man you lost your cigar" Thankfully it was cold, windy and raining so a little water down the waders wasn't too bad
The advice here was stellar,
I think I may hit the lamson guru that's on sale, but they skip from a 4wt model to a 6wt model, this may be a stupid question but which do i get
for a 5wt.
If I were you, I will get the 6wt. All my reels are over sized for the reason that I can always spool them with heavier lines for future use.
For under $200 it is very hard to beat the US made Guru.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
I think I may hit the lamson guru that's on sale, but they skip from a 4wt model to a 6wt model, this may be a stupid question but which do i get
for a 5wt.
You should know how I think by now, Bigger is Better when we talk reels. Specially when you are catching 2 foot long fish.
djamtime likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
I am a huge fan of Lamson as well although I don't like the colors of the new Konic. I also have a black Guru that will be here tomorrow from backcountry.
All I have to say is damn you and that site...haha. I now also have a black guru coming from them, cant beat that price, they are 30% off now. I have 2 lamson reels and I like them quiet a bit, but I do agree that I HATE what they have done with the Konic II.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

The Echo Ion is another reel that should get some light in this thread... Well built.. smooth drag... will definitely take a beating... and at $99... It's by far one of the best deals out there
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM

rawtrout is on a distinguished road

What about Orvis:
the access looks real nice (pun intended), although I am not sure if it being a "mid" arbor is a huge deal.
Also, anyone know anything about their clearwater large-arbor.
I just picked up a clearwater 10 foot rod which is a real joy.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
What about Orvis:
the access looks real nice (pun intended), although I am not sure if it being a "mid" arbor is a huge deal.
Also, anyone know anything about their clearwater large-arbor.
I just picked up a clearwater 10 foot rod which is a real joy.
I had the clearwater II then swapped it with the Access IV. Nothing wrong with that reel, but the drag isnt fully sealed. I am the kind of person who wants versatility in my gears. So in this case i wanted my reels to be able to swim in the salt as well. But of course, i still have to rinse the reel after usage but less worry when using it in the salt.