The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 AM

rawtrout is on a distinguished road
Default Economical Premium Reel Advice

I know the title sounds like a contradiction, but here it goes:
I just came back from a great day in the catskills where I had fish hammering my dries all day (thanks to a wonderful guide, since the day before on my own I had a few short strikes on a nymph and not much else).
Anyway, those fish included two photo-worthy "trophy" type fish (one brown and one rainbow). This is a big river with strong wild fish only so it was quite a battle.
I had what I thought was a good set-up, a sage vantage rod (an example of what I call "Economical Premium") and a ross flycast reel.
Long story short, the big brown fought like crazy (longest fish fight of my life ending with me falling out of the drift boat , losing my cigar but keeping the fish!). Any, this fish took my boat downstream about 60 yards and went pretty close to my backing and the reel was a disaster, the drag was jerky and the spool was wobbely. The big 'bow was only a little worse. Hence, it is time to pony up for a good reel, large arbor, 4 or 5 weight that will not break the brank (i.e. no insance ross or hatch reals that cost more than my first car.
Thanks as always for your advice.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economical Premium Reel Advice

The three I'd suggest looking at are the Lamson Konic II, the Allen Trout II, or the Orvis Access (it's a mid-arbor). I have the first two - Konic for my 5wt and Allen for my 6wt. I have other Orvis reels and am happy with them, but haven't personally tried the Access.

ps Orvis and Allen are forum sponsors so if you like their products that's a good way to go. If you buy Orvis use this link that will credit the forum for getting you to their site. Justin from Allen Fly Fishing is active on the site and their webpage is pretty user friendly.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

There are good trout reels at various price points. What are you willing to spend?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Orvis Battenkill with disc drag $100.00 - $150.00, just a perfect reel and underpriced in my opinion. Use the disc drag or palm with your hands, or set the drag light and palm if needed. I have more expensive reels, hardy, abel and others but this reel takes a real beating and continues to perform for me.

Dave
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Orvis Battenkill with disc drag $100.00 - $150.00, just a perfect reel and underpriced in my opinion. Use the disc drag or palm with your hands, or set the drag light and palm if needed. I have more expensive reels, hardy, abel and others but this reel takes a real beating and continues to perform for me.

Dave
I have both BBSII and BBSIII and for the $$$ they're dandy. For a little less there's the popular Okuma reels, the SLV (large arbor) and even less expensive, the Sierra. As Mosca said...there are several depending on the price you're shooting for.

Good luck
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

BBS is a nice reel but it's not a large arbor. On the other hand, you don't really need a large arbor for trout. I like standard arbor reels for trout because they are lighter and balance better in the lower line weights.

The Konic and Access reels are both nice, but I would call them mid-arbor rather than large-arbor. I haven't ever used an Allen bout a lot of people in this forum recommend them.

If you consider an Okuma, be aware that they have larger than standard reel feet that don't fit all reel seats.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I have Allen reel Kraken 3 and Orvis Access IV which have smooth drag. You can also get the Lamson Guru at backcountry.com which are on sale right now. I just bought the 3.5 Guru for $178 last night. Go and check it out, they still have smaller sizes available.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I am a huge fan of Lamson as well although I don't like the colors of the new Konic. I also have a black Guru that will be here tomorrow from backcountry. I have dropped another Guru (3.5) on a jetty and it fell 6-8 feet and landed right on the edge of the spool on a rock. I thought for sure the spool wasn't going to turn after that do to the low clearance between the spool and reel. Never had an issue! It got a couple small gouges and scrapes but kept its shape and didn't dent at all.

I have some more expensive reels but if I buy a new setup that I need a reel for, I usually go with a Lamson and then MIGHT "upgrade" to another reel down the road. I usually just stick with the Lamsons.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:25 PM

rawtrout is on a distinguished road

How much am I willing to spend? That is a good question, I would stick with sub-200 is possible but I would be willing to spend enough that this doesn't happen again. My guide told me (and it sounds right) that with rods, you keep on by more and different types (if you want) but a good reel with a bunch of spools can last forever.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The guys have already offered many reel choices and I won't confuse the issue with more but...........

I'll bet when you fell outta the boat the guide about had a heart attack. It musta been exciting for both of you! Did you take a picture of the fish?

Ard
kwb likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;