The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 PM

pauld3 is on a distinguished road
Default rod and reel

Well I recieved the rod and reel that I ordered with my rewards ponts. they are from daiwa, an algonquin 8ft 6 rod 5wt and a lochmor 100 reel.

I was reading about the reel and it stated it was a 3/4 reel that had a capacity of wf3f + 22yds and wf4f + 11 yds. does that mean it only holds 33 ft of 4 wt line.

also if anybody knows, is this combo ok, it was free.
thanks
Paul
Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: rod and reel

Hi Paul
It will hold the fly line plus 22 yds of backing
Jim
Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Not a lot of backing, but you should be okay. What do you fish for?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 AM

ok, that makes me feel better.

I want to fish for trout, but this is the first time ive ever had a fly rod, complete beginner but so looking forward to learning.

thanks

paul
Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sounds like you got a mismatched reel for the rod, but it should hold the line at least. Daiwa rods are quite popular in the UK.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:08 PM

thats kinda what I was thinking maybe get another reel down the road.

but for what I paid for it Im pretty happy no just need line

paul
Old 01-30-2008, 05:51 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

Paul, since you have a 5wt rod, ideally you will want a 5wt reel (basically that means that the reel is large enough to hold an entire weight-forward 5wt fly line plus plenty of backing (100 yards is standard on most properly sized reels). You should be able to fit the majority of a 5wt line onto your 3/4 reel, but I'm not sure...you may not be able to fit the entire line on. If that's the case (and you still don't want to buy a larger reel), then you should cut the excess fly line off the back end of the line (where you connect it to the reel), not from the front end. Once you are able to fit the entire fly line on the reel, then you'll want to see how much backing you can fit on. If you can't fit more than a few feet of backing, you may want to remove about 3 yards from the back end of your fly line and replace it with 15-20 yards of backing, or however much will fit.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post
Paul, since you have a 5wt rod, ideally you will want a 5wt reel (basically that means that the reel is large enough to hold an entire weight-forward 5wt fly line plus plenty of backing (100 yards is standard on most properly sized reels). You should be able to fit the majority of a 5wt line onto your 3/4 reel, but I'm not sure...you may not be able to fit the entire line on. If that's the case (and you still don't want to buy a larger reel), then you should cut the excess fly line off the back end of the line (where you connect it to the reel), not from the front end. Once you are able to fit the entire fly line on the reel, then you'll want to see how much backing you can fit on. If you can't fit more than a few feet of backing, you may want to remove about 3 yards from the back end of your fly line and replace it with 15-20 yards of backing, or however much will fit.

Or get a DT and cut it in half.......;-)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Paul,

I think Cliff is right that the reel does not match up with the rod. One thing you can do to help the backing problem is to use Power Pro braided line for backing. Normally you would use 50lb line but if you want more backing then you could use 40lb or even 30lb.

I think that as a beginner you can get by with no backing and not have any problems. You first priority is to learn how to cast and manipulate the line and rod. Stick to pan fish and you will be just fine.

Frank
Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the help, Im going to take the advise to get some line probably 4wt and work on learning to cast.

Is ot allright to practice in the back yard or should you practice on water.
( will the grass hurt the line )

Paul