The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By sageandonion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice
Default Reel Options & Opinions for Winston GVX 480-4

UPS just delivered me a Winston GVX 480-4 that I picked up on clearance under $300.00 shipping included.

Now I am thinking a new reel is in order. I have a Litespeed 2 that I use for my 5/6 wts. I could probably just buy another spool and line it up but I wanted to check here with the gear heads first.

As always your input is greatly appreciated.

Joe
Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel Options & Opinions for Winston GVX 480-4

Hi Joe,

Congratulations on your purchase. Being a tackle junkie, getting something new is always exciting. I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions, it may be worth your time to use the search feature to read some of the previous "which reel" discussions. What sort of budget do you have in mind for a reel and do you have line for it already? Beyond the Lamson that you mentioned, are there any that you're considering?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Jay,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely do some searching on previous threads.

re: budget... kinda tricky... I am not of the school who believes that reels are simply "line holders". I do get on the reel when needed and like a reliable, solid drag hence my purchase of the Litespeed 2, which I believe was around $300.00. However, I am of the school that the reel shouldn't cost more than the rod. Call me crazy but there you go. I paid just under $300.00 for a rod that retailed the previous year at $500.00?

re: other considerations... perhaps a good reel that could double for my 3wt and switch spools when needed.

re: line... thinking Rio Gold wf4 or perhaps Rio Trout LT. I don't think this stick needs a SA GPX. Not really sure what to do here...
Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind when reading my first suggestions that I was first a "drag reel" kinda guy on my trout rods but have since discovered click & pawl reels. They're fun to fish and ideally suited for lighter tackle such as a 3 or 4wt rod in my opinion.

These are all classicly styled reels which in my opinion are a nice fit for Winston rods.

Take a look at a Hardy LRH or Featherweight, new or vintage. Depending on how much weight you prefer might be a deciding factor. Both can be had under your $300 budget brand new, sometimes even with line included. Much goes the same with a vintage reel though condition of the reel will dictate price. If you go on the auction site, you've got to be careful not to over-pay.

Orvis CFO III, either new or vintage.

Another good option would be one of Abel's click & pawl options. The TR series is within your budget, the TR1 would probably serve a 3 and 4 very well.

If you're considering a more contemporary design:

Galvan Rush LT 3 or 4 depending on your preference are both under the $300 mark. Excellent drag in these and the same drag that you'd find in the Torque Series.

The Torque series is worth a look, though it's just above your $300 budget. Amazing reels.

Ross also makes some fine reels, the Evolution LT has a similar look to the Torque, a good drag and very light. These are certainly worth your time to look at.

Should any of those interest you, take a look at the manufacturer's website for more info on the specs and pricing of the additional spools. In some cases I've abandoned the whole 2nd spool option and bit the bullet to buy another reel, especially when cost of the spool is 1/2 as much of a new reel.

I don't own a GVX, so hopefully others who do have one will chime in and let you know what they like and would suggest. This should at least get you thinking though.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It's a four weight. Do you really need a disk drag? Only if you want it. A click drag reel will do just fine as long as there is enough resistance to keep the line from bird's nesting.

The Usual Click Drag Suspects:
Abel TR1
Abel Creek 1 LA
Hardy Featherweight
Hardy UL CC 3000
Redington Drift 3/4

The Usual Disk Drag Suspects:
Galvan Rush 4 LT
Lamson Guru 1.5
Lamson Konic II 1.5
Ross CLA 1 or 1.5 (I'd err towards the CLA 1 since you have a shorter rod)
Ross Evolution II 1.5
Hardy UL DD 3000
Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock 2

Research to your heart's delight.

Dennis
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 PM

Dennis,

Thanks for the list. I might just go the click pawl route. That said I think I will take a hard look at the new Orvis Battenkill. It's light and very inexpensive. I'll head on down to Feathercraft tomorrow for a first hand look.

Joe
Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentile View Post
Dennis,

Thanks for the list. I might just go the click pawl route. That said I think I will take a hard look at the new Orvis Battenkill. It's light and very inexpensive. I'll head on down to Feathercraft tomorrow for a first hand look.

Joe
Hey Joe,
I have not seen that new Orvis Battenkill yet. From what I have read online, it could be a winner for you.

Regards,
Dennis
Old 05-15-2013, 06:51 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I have a Winston 7'9 3wt GVX and I have chosen the Hardy Featherweight. This reel is 3.37 ounces and balances the rod quite well, I would expect that it would be perfect on the 8' 4wt. In any case I recommend looking at reels that are under 4 ounces. preferably under 3.5. As for drag, click is just fine on this size of rod.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:51 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Let me begin by saying that I was until recently of the opinion that balancing your rod/reel was unnecessary. And I still believe that in the middle range of rods and reels it's not much of a factor. But I recently picked up a GVX 9' 5 wt. and after casting it a few times, and trying a few different reels on it, I think that a lighter reel makes this rod a better performer. It certainly is more fun to cast.

My pick would be a click and pawl under 4 oz., and the closer to 3 oz. the better. For instance, the Redington Drift 3/4 series reel (approx. $99) comes in at 3.7 oz. I have had the 5/6 for about 4 years now, and it's a favorite of mine, due to its lightweight and durability. But there are a lot of choices out there, and I would be happy with any of the previous poster's suggestions. In fact, I spent a weekend trying out a buddy's Abel TR-1 on my 3 wt. and liked it well enough to put it on my wish list for X-Mas (any of you guys get a wild hair and decide to get me something for X-Mas, there's your hint).

A quick note about the rod: in my limited experience, the GVX favors smooth technique. Trying to 'muscle' this rod won't work. Sudden changes in direction or acceleration cause significant losses in line speed. I have a theory as to why this happens, but the point is, be smooth, let the rod do the work, and it practically sings.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 AM

sageandonion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
I have a Winston 7'9 3wt GVX and I have chosen the Hardy Featherweight.
Ditto. And that would be my choice for an 8ft 4wt GVX... in fact it's what I also use on my 8ft 4wt BIIt.
jaybo41 likes this.