The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 01:59 PM

medic29358 is on a distinguished road
Default What do I really need in a fly reel?

Hello all,

I'm new here and to the sport of fly fishing and need a little advice. I'm looking at picking up my first fly reel and am a little overwhelmed with all of the "technology" that goes into some of these reels.

What I'm really looking for is a reliable trout reel for my 5wt rod. I doesn't seem like I need super strong drag, so I think I've decided on a click/pawl reel. When it comes down to it, is there really a difference between a $99 and a $300 reel. Or will any reel to the trick? It seems the rod is where I should spend a little more. I am taking into consideration made in the USA vs. overseas. Sure I'd like to buy an Able, but that's a lot to shell out right now.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:13 PM

ultralightidaho is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What do I really need in a fly reel?

Buy a Lamson Konic and you're done. Easily one of the best values on the market.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:23 PM

fly505 will become famous soon enough

I am by far no expert but when I was shopping around for a reel for my 5wt I wanted something that was durable and reliable. Plain and simple. I didn't need a ton of drag but something that could slow a larger fish I was not intentionally intending to target. I use my 5wt mostly for trout but occasionally will hook into some large bass and carp and am glad I had some drag when I needed it. A good drag can be overkill on small streams and rivers, but is rather be over-gunned than under for sure, you never know what you will get on the other end sometimes. As far as good budget minded trout reels go, can't go wrong with a Lamson Konic or even Guru (depending on budget limit), I've also heard good things about Allen reels particularly the Trout II. Again, lots of options out there. I myself like machined (Guru), drag and low maintence... hence the Lamson recommendation. Hope this helps
Old 05-20-2013, 02:24 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Allens has good reels and good customer service. I have bought 4 allen reels and one Orvis reel. I bought the orvis because I needed something right then and there and thats what basspro had.
bmbailes likes this.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:38 PM

I've seen the Lamson reels in a few fly shops and they looked like potentials. Had never heard of Allen. Just checked them out online and they look really nice. What fly505 said makes sense, never considered hooking into the potential big fish. I'll be happy with what ever grabs my line Thanks so far for the help, any more advise will be much appreciated.

jcw355, what was your experience with the Orvis reel?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic29358 View Post
Sure I'd like to buy an Able, but that's a lot to shell out right now.
Large arbor or small?

what amount do you anticipate spending? If you're looking at 50 bucks, the Okuma SLV is awesome. For just over $100 you can get an Orvis BBS III. There are MANY CHOICES but you can narrow them by deciding your own criteria.

You could also read the 3,579 threads about this same question in the "reels" forum
Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

With a light trout reel, you're not looking for a drag that will stop a truck. You only need to set the drag strong enough to prevent backlash.
What's important is that the reel "starts up" smoothly without any jerking to protect the tippet.

I use "primitive" drags on all my fresh water reels. Spring/pawl and the Medalist type brakes.
If you've got them set right... it's all you need.

This is the reel that I've been using this week

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:07 PM

As for as arbor size, I don't know? From what I understand the large arbor just help reel the fish in faster, if i'm correct? Is one better than the other, or is it just personal preference. This is where all the technology starts to confuse the uneducated. I've looked through the forums and I think I got more confused. Thanks for the help anyway...
Old 05-20-2013, 03:48 PM

fly505 will become famous soon enough

As far as arbor size I prefer large...yes it picks up line faster but also puts less "line-memory" on your fly line. But with greater diameter arbor, more torque is put on the reel thus necessatating a stronger drag. Like one of the previous posters stated, start up intertia is one of the more intrigal aspects of any good trout reel if you were ever to fight a fish off the reel...any sudden jerky or sticking of the drag will definitely pop a fish off no matter how good your knots are, meant to protect light tipets. Again, you can get away with a click and pawl type reel especially if all you fish for are small trout and what not...but it's nice to have something that can contend with the big boys if needed...especially in a 5wt. Lamson has a number of videos you can watch on YouTube or their site itself, very informative...they definitely stand behind their prouducts.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to side with Rip Tide here. For a 5wt and trout in general, you really don't need a "Stop a freight train" drag system. A simple click & pawl reel is fine. The Cortland Retro and Hardy Lightweight series of reels come to mind. If you are going to be getting into a lot of bigger fish like tail water trout, carp, pike, wiper, etc..Then you may want to look into a reel with a good disk drag and a large arbor. The large arbor spool basically has a larger circumference so it will pick up line a lot faster. If a 20lb carp takes you into the backing, you are going to want to pick up the slack line in a hurry, that is where a large arbor comes into play.

Chase
Hardyreels, kelkay and mikel like this.