The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   A screamin' reel deal (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/320073-screamin-reel-deal.html)

dean_mt 05-21-2013 11:58 PM

A screamin' reel deal

Last weekend I stopped into the sportsman's big box store to grab some tying materials and look at the Hardy Ultralites, I hadn't seen them in any fly shops in town. For the box store retailer they have a nice case full of reels. Select models were on sale with no rhyme or reason. The UL DD 5000 was actually on sale for $179 I think it was. But man that it is big reel for a 5 WT, the diameter is huge, I didn't like it for my rod and the size down was not on sale. Go figure.

Then I noticed the orange price tag next to a Ross Evolution. I've never paid more than $100 for a reel but have always been infatuated with certain Ross models. Anyway, this Evolution LT 3 in dark green matte finish and sized perfectly was on sale for $199. Its a $300+ reel! My irrational side convinced my frugal, pragmatic side to take it and run!

It matches up with my new XP 965 soooo nicely and it is sooo smooth. Might be the best $200 I've spent in a while.

jimp 05-22-2013 05:24 AM

Re: A screamin' reel deal

:thumbsup:

rockriver 05-22-2013 09:21 AM

Good grab on that reel.

mcnerney 05-22-2013 09:47 AM

John: Congrats on the new Ross reel! Nothing like getting a deal on a nice piece of fly fishing gear.

mikel 05-22-2013 10:53 AM

Great deal on a great reel! When the flows come down see if you can bust that drag on a big brown.

plecain 05-22-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikel (Post 558404)
sportsman's big box store

Which "sportsman's big box store"?

dean_mt 05-22-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plecain (Post 558407)
Which "sportsman's big box store"?

I believe it is now Sportsman's Warehouse. They went through bankruptcy and used to be Sportsman's Outfitters or Wholesale Sports or something like that.

The sale's guy said they are still changing over inventory and liquidated certain things. But it didn't make sense since all the other Ross Reels were still full price and many of the Hardys as well. But if you have one in your area check it out.

dhayden 05-22-2013 11:40 AM

They were Sportsman's Warehouse, than part of the chain was sold and became Wholesale Sports, now they were all sold back to become Sportsman's Warehouses again

I hope they kept the old signs

Lots of fly tying supplies closing out too

I'll have to look through the reels again!

MAD777 05-22-2013 02:25 PM

I hate posts like this. Of course I had to pull up Sportsman's Warehouse out of idle curiosity; just to see what this was all about. Well, I guess it could have been worse; it costed me only $62 in miscellaneous items. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaybo41 05-22-2013 02:58 PM

Congratulations, that's a killer deal on that reel. They're rock solid, I'm sure you will be very happy with it.:thumbsup: