The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default A screamin' reel deal

Last weekend I stopped into the sportsman's big box store to grab some tying materials and look at the Hardy Ultralites, I hadn't seen them in any fly shops in town. For the box store retailer they have a nice case full of reels. Select models were on sale with no rhyme or reason. The UL DD 5000 was actually on sale for $179 I think it was. But man that it is big reel for a 5 WT, the diameter is huge, I didn't like it for my rod and the size down was not on sale. Go figure.

Then I noticed the orange price tag next to a Ross Evolution. I've never paid more than $100 for a reel but have always been infatuated with certain Ross models. Anyway, this Evolution LT 3 in dark green matte finish and sized perfectly was on sale for $199. Its a $300+ reel! My irrational side convinced my frugal, pragmatic side to take it and run!

It matches up with my new XP 965 soooo nicely and it is sooo smooth. Might be the best $200 I've spent in a while.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:24 AM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A screamin' reel deal

Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Good grab on that reel.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John: Congrats on the new Ross reel! Nothing like getting a deal on a nice piece of fly fishing gear.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Great deal on a great reel! When the flows come down see if you can bust that drag on a big brown.
dean_mt and uncle chubby like this.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:05 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
sportsman's big box store
Which "sportsman's big box store"?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
Which "sportsman's big box store"?
I believe it is now Sportsman's Warehouse. They went through bankruptcy and used to be Sportsman's Outfitters or Wholesale Sports or something like that.

The sale's guy said they are still changing over inventory and liquidated certain things. But it didn't make sense since all the other Ross Reels were still full price and many of the Hardys as well. But if you have one in your area check it out.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

They were Sportsman's Warehouse, than part of the chain was sold and became Wholesale Sports, now they were all sold back to become Sportsman's Warehouses again

I hope they kept the old signs

Lots of fly tying supplies closing out too

I'll have to look through the reels again!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:25 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 will become famous soon enough

I hate posts like this. Of course I had to pull up Sportsman's Warehouse out of idle curiosity; just to see what this was all about. Well, I guess it could have been worse; it costed me only $62 in miscellaneous items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dean_mt likes this.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, that's a killer deal on that reel. They're rock solid, I'm sure you will be very happy with it.
dean_mt likes this.