The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   New reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/320135-new-reel.html)

anjoemara 05-22-2013 01:57 PM

New reel

Hello Guys

Nice forum here!!

Need some advice for buying a new reel in the near future. the rod is a xi3 aftma 8.
I like to use the reel in salt water. I read at the internet very good reviews about the hatch 7. But is a expensive reel. Maybe a lamson will be a good choice?

Thanks

brookfieldangler 05-22-2013 02:09 PM

Re: New reel

Lamson could be good...so could dozens of other ones.

Don't worry about the balance thing, worry about what you want from a reel and what type of fish you plan on catching with.

rockthief 05-22-2013 02:20 PM

If you like modern reels give the Allen Flyfishing site a look. They are sponsors here and have a heck of a following.

Paul

brookfieldangler 05-22-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockthief (Post 558484)
If you like modern reels give the Allen Flyfishing site a look. They are sponsors here and have a heck of a following.

Paul

They are definitely a good choice....especially with that kraken

fly505 05-22-2013 11:19 PM

Kraken looks pretty sweet and from I've read IS pretty sweet. Lamson is a good choice as well, easily maintainable in salt...open rinse and dry. Really love my Speedrunner...picks line up fast! Also was cross shopping a Nautilus CCF...pretty bullet proof from what I've heard :) Good luck on your choice..

trout champ 05-23-2013 12:11 AM

How about this

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-size-3-a.html

I can vouch for the guy, he's pretty cool!

Randy

sweetandsalt 05-23-2013 07:41 AM

Xi3 #8 is a fine rod for the salt. Yes, Hatch would be a great but somewhat expensive choice as would Abel and Islander. The Nautilus mentioned would be great too, I fish an NV on my NRX #8 and love it. Ross is worth a look see too but the Lamson products, though intelligent in many ways, feature a too wide, too shallow aspect ratio that makes retrieving lots of backing and line, as happens in the salt, counter-intuitive. too much attention is required to regain line uniformly risking uneven build up thus pillar jamming. Not such and issue in most trout fishing but serious stuff with big strong gamefish. Also the non-sealed drag sweep surface is smaller than the saltier reels above. The Kraken, if you are on a budget, seems a fine choice though I have yet to fish one.

caseywise 05-23-2013 07:49 AM

welcome to the forum:D
indeed a fine group here!
yes, the allen kraken would be a
great choice.

casey

anjoemara 05-23-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetandsalt (Post 558689)
Xi3 #8 is a fine rod for the salt. Yes, Hatch would be a great but somewhat expensive choice as would Abel and Islander. The Nautilus mentioned would be great too, I fish an NV on my NRX #8 and love it. Ross is worth a look see too but the Lamson products, though intelligent in many ways, feature a too wide, too shallow aspect ratio that makes retrieving lots of backing and line, as happens in the salt, counter-intuitive. too much attention is required to regain line uniformly risking uneven build up thus pillar jamming. Not such and issue in most trout fishing but serious stuff with big strong gamefish. Also the non-sealed drag sweep surface is smaller than the saltier reels above. The Kraken, if you are on a budget, seems a fine choice though I have yet to fish one.

Thanks al lot for all the answers. Much appreciated!!

I thought, for example, that the lamson speedster (3.5 / 4) with the very large Arbor was designed for big fish (speedsters). I read at the internet that the reel has a very fast retrieve. Like the Loop speedrunner for example.

But I understand that the reel isnt a good choice for fishing on the salt for big fish. Because of the fast retrieve (ratio), or the narrow spool, the uneven build up?
I understand your post about the drag.

Will you please so kind to explain it again to me why this very big arbors arent a good choice for big fish on the salt.

I dont understand your post for the 100%. I dont speak the lanquage of your tongue because I live in Europe. Thank you very much!!

sweetandsalt 05-23-2013 11:35 AM

Actually, the Speedster is the best of the Lamson offerings because they made the spool width narrower. It is not the diameter, large arbor, that is the negative but spool width that presents a problem. Large arbor is very good in the salt.