The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM

anjoemara is on a distinguished road
Default New reel

Hello Guys

Nice forum here!!

Need some advice for buying a new reel in the near future. the rod is a xi3 aftma 8.
I like to use the reel in salt water. I read at the internet very good reviews about the hatch 7. But is a expensive reel. Maybe a lamson will be a good choice?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 02:09 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New reel

Lamson could be good...so could dozens of other ones.

Don't worry about the balance thing, worry about what you want from a reel and what type of fish you plan on catching with.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:20 PM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

If you like modern reels give the Allen Flyfishing site a look. They are sponsors here and have a heck of a following.

Paul
Old 05-22-2013, 02:40 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
If you like modern reels give the Allen Flyfishing site a look. They are sponsors here and have a heck of a following.

Paul
They are definitely a good choice....especially with that kraken
Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 PM

fly505 will become famous soon enough

Kraken looks pretty sweet and from I've read IS pretty sweet. Lamson is a good choice as well, easily maintainable in salt...open rinse and dry. Really love my Speedrunner...picks line up fast! Also was cross shopping a Nautilus CCF...pretty bullet proof from what I've heard Good luck on your choice..
Old 05-23-2013, 12:11 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

How about this

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-size-3-a.html

I can vouch for the guy, he's pretty cool!

Randy
Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Xi3 #8 is a fine rod for the salt. Yes, Hatch would be a great but somewhat expensive choice as would Abel and Islander. The Nautilus mentioned would be great too, I fish an NV on my NRX #8 and love it. Ross is worth a look see too but the Lamson products, though intelligent in many ways, feature a too wide, too shallow aspect ratio that makes retrieving lots of backing and line, as happens in the salt, counter-intuitive. too much attention is required to regain line uniformly risking uneven build up thus pillar jamming. Not such and issue in most trout fishing but serious stuff with big strong gamefish. Also the non-sealed drag sweep surface is smaller than the saltier reels above. The Kraken, if you are on a budget, seems a fine choice though I have yet to fish one.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:49 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum
indeed a fine group here!
yes, the allen kraken would be a
great choice.

casey
bmbailes likes this.

ARFE
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM

anjoemara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Xi3 #8 is a fine rod for the salt. Yes, Hatch would be a great but somewhat expensive choice as would Abel and Islander. The Nautilus mentioned would be great too, I fish an NV on my NRX #8 and love it. Ross is worth a look see too but the Lamson products, though intelligent in many ways, feature a too wide, too shallow aspect ratio that makes retrieving lots of backing and line, as happens in the salt, counter-intuitive. too much attention is required to regain line uniformly risking uneven build up thus pillar jamming. Not such and issue in most trout fishing but serious stuff with big strong gamefish. Also the non-sealed drag sweep surface is smaller than the saltier reels above. The Kraken, if you are on a budget, seems a fine choice though I have yet to fish one.
Thanks al lot for all the answers. Much appreciated!!

I thought, for example, that the lamson speedster (3.5 / 4) with the very large Arbor was designed for big fish (speedsters). I read at the internet that the reel has a very fast retrieve. Like the Loop speedrunner for example.

But I understand that the reel isnt a good choice for fishing on the salt for big fish. Because of the fast retrieve (ratio), or the narrow spool, the uneven build up?
I understand your post about the drag.

Will you please so kind to explain it again to me why this very big arbors arent a good choice for big fish on the salt.

I dont understand your post for the 100%. I dont speak the lanquage of your tongue because I live in Europe. Thank you very much!!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Actually, the Speedster is the best of the Lamson offerings because they made the spool width narrower. It is not the diameter, large arbor, that is the negative but spool width that presents a problem. Large arbor is very good in the salt.