The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 PM

lupe21 is on a distinguished road
Default vintage reel

hey guys I am new here, I am a big bass fisherman, but have always wanted to get into fly fishing as I live about an hour from good trout spots now I do fish for trout but when I do Is just use a open face reel and ultra lite rod recently I purchased a hardy the perfect 3 1/8 fly reel, I gave 10 bucks for the thing, from what I understand it would be better to put this up, are these good little reels and I are they worth anything, also if you where to fish it what all purpose fly rod for around 100-200 would you get for it

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

I cannot figure out how to post pictures but here is a link to where I have posted pictures at Vintage Fly Reels - Fishing Rods, Reels, Line, and Knots - Bass Fishing Forums
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: vintage reel

$10 for a Hardy Perfect, with an agate line guard none the less????

That's one heckuva major score there! I'm talking score of a lifetime! Congratulations on your purchase! Has it been fished and does it have some rash on it? If so, I'd fish it. If it's never been fished, then I might be inclined to put it on a shelf. Truly there is no wrong answer here, for $10 that is an absolutely incredible score!

I'm not sure what size streams you fish or what size flies you intend to use, but an 8'6 to 9'0 4wt might just fit the bill with that reel and there are no shortage of options.

Do you like a fast, medium, slow action rods?

Welcome to the forum and once again, congratulations on the score of a lifetime! Here's a link for you to read on how to post pictures on the forum. Basically, you need to use an image hosting website, such as photobucket.

A Few Tips For Posting Pictures To The Forums;
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM

Default Re: vintage reel

Thanks for The reply I posted a safe link to pictures I would say the reel is maybe 7-8/10 cosmetically mostly rash but not to much
Old 05-29-2013, 09:36 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Bargain of the millennium !!! Like getting a Picasso in the poster section of Walmart!
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 PM

I bought it of a guy who deals in old furniture usually what he does is buy a estate he had the reel hidden with a bunch of junk in his warehouse he offered to me for 10 bucks and told him if he wanted I would research it for him before I purchased it he said no ten bucks was fine I feel kind of guilty
Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Yeah I'd feel guilty for at least 30 seconds!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Send it to me, I'll bear your guilt ! LOL
Old 05-30-2013, 10:38 AM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That reel is worth hundreds of dollars. Good for you. You have started at the top.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Lupe21, I had to pick myself off the floor, when I read your post. I guess you know I am jealous as all get out. Good grief, you made one heck of a deal. I never come across deals like that. Wow. I am in shock. You are one lucky dude.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 PM

half fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nicehalf fast is just really nice

If that reel happened to come attached to an old rod that looks like it might be made of bamboo, just send me the rod and I'll take care of the disposal for you.....

======================================
Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.