The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sprucing up an old reel--proper lube? Repainting?

I'm working on cleaning up an old 1960s silaflex rod (a related post in the fly rod forum) and a southbend reel #1110

What's the right lube for it? I was thinking white lithium grease, but don't really know. Friction betwee the frame of the reel and the spool definitely affects performance on this reel and the lube would likely come into contact with the fly line.

Here's a link to an old thread that has an older southbend for illustration. The friction between the purple frame and the silver spool is why I need to lube. You can see from the holes in the spool that the lube might come into contact with the line and backing.

Vintage Reels

Now, the other question: Is it ok to repaint them as far as value? It's not exceptionally collectible, and looks old and cool as is, but a paint job might be in its future. Mine is roughly in that same condition, maybe a little more wear.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sprucing up an old reel--proper lube? Repainting?

If there's friction between the frame and spool, then the frame is very likely bent. Either that or the spindle.
If it's the frame you should be able take care of that easily. The spindle....

As for lube, there's a few brands of special reel lube that you can purchase. Quantum Hot Sauce is one. But you can use anything that won't attract grit.
Paint it if you like. You're not going to hurt any value.
Flyfisher for men likes this.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sprucing up an old reel--proper lube? Repainting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
If there's friction between the frame and spool, then the frame is very likely bent. Either that or the spindle.
If it's the frame you should be able take care of that easily. The spindle....
Thanks, Riptide!

This got me thinking and I remembered that at one point I took the thing apart. I inspected it closely and realized that I had the bridge pieces that go across the frame poorly seated and inconsistently tightened. It was causing the spindle and frame to be misaligned. Seems to be working fine.

Got a bass taper line the other day for it and the rod's cleaned up. Largemouth bass beware!