The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: My search is over- Mint Sage 505L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
With this outfit you CAN fish for trout! What line did you rig?
It has a great smooth action, I went with the SA Texture Trout Stalker in WF5- CASTS AMAZING!

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
That's a dandy! I have a particular affinity for these reels and absolutely love fishing for trout with them. Congrats on a fantastic buy and a most excellent pairing on that Sage LL.

Cheers,
Mike.
Thanks Mike, I too have liked the 500 series for a while, this is the first one I've owned. However, I have owned both Sage 700 series and 5000 series reels. I hope to acquire a Sage 503L and 509 sometime in the future.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
It has a great smooth action, I went with the SA Texture Trout Stalker in WF5- CASTS AMAZING!

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Thanks Mike, I too have liked the 500 series for a while, this is the first one I've owned. However, I have owned both Sage 700 series and 5000 series reels. I hope to acquire a Sage 503L and 509 sometime in the future.
I have a Sage LL 490-2 - GIII Blank like your 590 - and I use the SA Textured Trout Stalker on it in WF4 - WOW, what a pairing those two are together. It's an absolute pleasure to fish with that rod and line. Seeing your 505L on there makes me consider using one of my Sage 500 series reels on mine - it only seems to make sense

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
I have a Sage LL 490-2 - GIII Blank like your 590 - and I use the SA Textured Trout Stalker on it in WF4 - WOW, what a pairing those two are together. It's an absolute pleasure to fish with that rod and line. Seeing your 505L on there makes me consider using one of my Sage 500 series reels on mine - it only seems to make sense

Cheers,
Mike.
The Textured Trout Stalker seems to be a great fit for the LL Sages, old school IM6 Loomis and Winston rods. On my RPLs (5100 and 790) I really like the Textured GPX WF lines. My next hunt will be for either a 503L for a 7'9 3wt Winston or a Sage 711 for Sage Moderate Action 990.

If you get a chance I'd love to see a family pic of your 500 series Sage reels- very cool...

Additionally, If you are in the Chi area, I would road trip northwest to the West Fork of the Kickapoo in Wi, one of my favorite trout streams.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Interesting! How do they compare pricewise? (JLH to Sage 500 series) Also what does the JLH stand for?
James L Hardy, I have no idea off the top of my head what the L stood for, although I'm sure one of my Hardy history books has the info. I don't remember what they retailed for. I think both were in the $150-$200 range when they were discontinued.

Used, you use to be able to find the Sages cheaper, and the Sage non-lights didn't have as much porting and were a little heavier. But alas their are no more secrets on Ebay so both the Sage and the JLH tend to go for decent money, about $250. Most of the JLH's were dark grey, they made a few "golden" JLH's that are the same color as the Sage. I don't know if they were a special edition or if Hardy had some left over un-marked Sages after the contract ran out.

But I like mine a lot, I've landed more than a few 20" class Browns with it.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: My search is over- Mint Sage 505L

I believe the "L" is for Lawrence, but don't hold me to it.

Congratulations on your 505, until I had seen them in person I'd not realized just how special they are. Fortunately Chi has a wide angle lens on his camera if he's got the time, he might just be able to fit them all into one photo for you

That's one beautiful pairing you've got there russell!
russellb likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You know Russel, I've been missing you here and was soon to send a 'Proof of Life' PM to you my friend. I know a good many here know what the messages are because they get them when they disappear.

What a terrific pair and a nice big reel (I love big reels) I know how stoked you are with that set because of your Sage love posts of the past. Congratulations on building a superb and vintage outfit,

Ard
russellb likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
James L Hardy, I have no idea off the top of my head what the L stood for, although I'm sure one of my Hardy history books has the info. I don't remember what they retailed for. I think both were in the $150-$200 range when they were discontinued.
OK that makes sense; never thought of of it being his name. They are definitely a step up from the Marquis series, no wobbles and such.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You know Russel, I've been missing you here and was soon to send a 'Proof of Life' PM to you my friend. I know a good many here know what the messages are because they get them when they disappear.

What a terrific pair and a nice big reel (I love big reels) I know how stoked you are with that set because of your Sage love posts of the past. Congratulations on building a superb and vintage outfit,

Ard
Thanks Ard! The past 18 months have been very busy with work related travel plus last summer was one of our hottest and driest on record. It seemed that any free time I had I was engaged in my other passion- distance running.

This year is shaping to be cooler, and wetter and with little to no work related travel I am running and fishing! This coming week I will be kayaking on the North Fork of the White, a fast western style river chasing rainbows and browns.

As far as the reel size, I was surprised by the diameter, it is a pretty big reel. The great designers at Hardy hit a home run as the reel is both very narrow and very light.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Large diameter and narrow width; that's what we're talking about! I know I wrote a review of Textured Trout Stalker #4 so you would think I would have included it in my recent re-evaluation of Sage ONE#5 line match-up (in the Rod Forum)...but I don't have one and didn't. I am going to have to address this oversight. Great and logical choice for your outfit.
russellb likes this.