The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Need extra spool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
One point Iíll add as an old retailer of fly gear. If the reel you own is from a company that is known for changing models every few years or if the model you have is getting long in the tooth. You might consider buying a spare spool sooner, rather than later, if you think that you really might need one down the road. Sometimes finding extra spools for a discontinued reel model can be a challenge. Especially so, if the brand & model were not commonly found in the inventory of fly shops.

TT
That's the point I am at. Still not willing to give up my Crown and Crown II reels. I'm buying extra spools and reels of ebay just for parts and replacements.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM
j lee is on a distinguished road

Extra spool makes sense to me if you want to add another line weight(2 different wt rods, one reel).
Old 06-27-2013, 01:13 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

I do the extra spool for backpack fishing. When I go hike in I either take a 1 & 3wt rod with me. So I have one reel with two spools. If the wind picks up I can switch to my 3wt rod easily. Also do the same with a 3wt/4wt setup
Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

I have two TR3 reels and six extra spools. I have my 6 and 7 weight lines, plus a couple of switch lines on those eight spools. When my natural silk DT stops floating, I have plastic backup I can snap on and be back in the water in short order. Since, I'm not likely to need to fish a 6 wt and a switch at the same time, I can pop off the 6 wt, drop on a scandi 300 and put the reel on a switch rod and be in business.

Extra spools are cheaper than reels. If I have 12 rods, do I need 12 reels? My answer is no, but I likely need 12 spools.