The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 05:03 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice
Default Need extra spool?

Newbie question here.....

I have dived in head first to this fly fishing addiction and have got this question....

In what situations would a spare spool be useful?

I have a 6 and 8wt if that matters

Thanks for the good info you guys share on here!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 AM

grouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura aboutgrouch has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Need extra spool?

Early on in my fly fishing sickness, I just had to have an extra spool for all of my reels. My salt rods had a floater and a sinker or intermediate. I could count on one hand all the times I actually used them. Now I don't even bother with it, I just use on reel/spool with a floater that does about 100% of what I need it to do. Besides if I even had to, switching lines is about a 5 minute job at best.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Some of my reels have extra spools for a sinking line but in other cases I have extra spools as the same reel is works on two different line weight rods.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Like others, I HAD to HAVE extra spools, one for the floater and one for a sink tip.

I still have them and I think I could find them without much looking. I use a FWF all of the time.

If you have a 6-weight and an 8-weight and using the same reel for both, than an extra spool makes sense.

Kind of hard to really say much since we don't know what you are fishing for and what kind of water you are fishing in.

Figuring out a system for marking lines and or reels is a good thing to figure out early.
I use morse code and modified roman numerals. (I also have a cheat sheet on a laminated 5x5 card in my reel/ extra boxes bag.)

_.. .._. ._ _ .._. ._.. _... is about 6' up from the tip of my line tagged in permanent marker. (Hold tip in one hand and stretch out both arms.)

7 FWFLB or 7-weight, Floating Weight Forward, Long Body
Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

I do have a few extra spools for a couple of our reels, but I have more duplicate reels than extra spools. That’s a function of extensive travel ( a spare spool doesn’t have much use, if the reel its used on fails while on the road ) and needing more than one rod of a specific line weight rigged and at the ready while fishing. So for us, duplicate reels make more sense.

One point I’ll add as an old retailer of fly gear. If the reel you own is from a company that is known for changing models every few years or if the model you have is getting long in the tooth. You might consider buying a spare spool sooner, rather than later, if you think that you really might need one down the road. Sometimes finding extra spools for a discontinued reel model can be a challenge. Especially so, if the brand & model were not commonly found in the inventory of fly shops.

TT
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much the same as the fellows above. Do carry a couple of extra full reels in the Jeep so I can do a full line change out when necessary. 98% of the time I'll just use a different rod.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 AM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

I've battled with the idea of extra spools but I was able to find out about sink tips before.. And unless I see myself owning a full sinking line.. I don't really see needing an extra spool... I prefer the tips because with a matter of like 2 minutes I can switch out how fast I need my fly to sink or how deep... 3'-15+' sink tips... look into them... they seem expensive if you look at the rio ones that'll run you $15-20/each but I've found much more affordable ones that work just fine for what I do on the auction site

Another thing to add is some reel companies make their spools almost the same price as the whole reel which is just ridiculous!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm like Fred even though I have extra spools usually leave them at home. Like to have extra rods on the water for easy switch. Would rather prepare before the trip than mess around during the action!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-06-2013, 12:26 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

You guys bring up some excellent points.

I like the extra reels but that takes time and money.

I do saltwater fishing here on the Texas coast for reds and trout but also do some freshwater for small bass and sunfish (gotta get a smaller wt rod for this)

Id also like to hook onto some carp this season but my 8wt will handle that.

I have a lamson konic on the 6wt and a lamson guru 3.5 on the 8wt.

I got to thinking about it cause i saw the spare spool for the guru on clearance for 50.00.

Just not sure of when id be needing that change of line.

Thanks for the great feedback fella. Much appreciated

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Forgot to include....

Sounds like id have to figure out if i want to fish deeper water for the sink like.

I just thought that a weighted clouser would do that.

Hadn't thought about fishing deeper that the 9-10ft of leader i normally have on my line.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsubeta04 View Post
Newbie question here.....

I have dived in head first to this fly fishing addiction and have got this question....

In what situations would a spare spool be useful?
Quote:
I like the extra reels but that takes time and money.
You kinda sorta answered yourself there. Basically spare spools are an economical way for you to have more line options without having to get extra reels.

Quote:
I got to thinking about it cause i saw the spare spool for the guru on clearance for 50.00.
That is a low cost option.

Proper line strategy is part of the battle in fly fishing. To keep it simple, the fly has to be in the zone of where the fish are. The proper line will get your fly there. Check with your local shop on line strategy for the waters that you fish.

Dennis