The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 AM

fly505 will become famous soon enough
Default Really need advice on reel size...

Hi all... need some advice on reel size. I currently picked up an ECHO Edge 9' 9-wt and am looking to pair it with a Lamson Speedster, question is what size? On paper it looks like the 3.5 looks right but really want the upgraded or "larger" drag in the 4. Is over sizing a 9-wt rod with a 10-wt reel a terrible idea? Primarily quarry are Tiger Musky...but want a reel that I can take the hard runs of big salmon and/or bonefish and permit or other big salty game fish. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Mark
Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really need advice on reel size...

"Is over sizing a 9-wt rod with a 10-wt reel a terrible idea?"

Not in the least. With the exception (just my opin) of very light rods 'bigger is better' as the reel is a counter balance for everything beyond your hand on the cork.

Reel weight choice frequently comes down to do you want to fish tip light or tip heavy.

Fred
Old 06-07-2013, 12:08 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I totally ignore reel makers line rating and go by balance and capacity. Bigger is almost always better than smaller. As I commented recently in the rod forum about how to balance a reel to a rod, I just put a Nautilus FWX 7/8 on my light weight ONE #5 for perfect balance. Many of the newer skeletal reel designs are very (too?) light and this "7/8" only weighs 4.1 oz.

Besides balance considerations, for saltwater applications an important feature is drag surface sweep area...the number of sq. inches of contact. The classic approach which still works great, is a big, wide slab of cork as in an Abel, Tibor, Islander draw-bar reel. A new design concept that has rapidly and appropriately gained traction is multiple stacked discs. Not only is there more than one drag surface but both sides of the usually carbon discs are employed so sweep are is expanded while maintaining a compact drag assembly. Hatch, Hardy Fortuna and Ultralite DD, Orvis Mirage and several more use such a design in low maintenance reels. Nautilus NV and Ross F1 are other contenders.

I have fished the ECHO3 #9 and it was a very fine rod bonefishing but I fished it with an exotic German Vosseler S which is not so readily available here.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM

Great! Thanks for the replies...ya the Speedster #3.5 weighs at 5.7oz vs the #4 at 8.5....I know the majority of this added weight is due to the larger drag. I believe the edge #9 weighs in at 5-5.2 oz...just didnt want to be like "woah...should've got the 3.5" if is gonna be totally out of whack. I believe the larger drag is worth the extra weight, just didnt want to sacrifice alot of cast and feel. I'll have to take a look at the other reels you mentioned, definitely liking the Hardy but not so much on the reflective glare finish. Thanks again and to hear more from you all.

Mark
Old 06-07-2013, 05:01 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

If you are refering to the U DD, it is available in black as well as bright. Also, it is unusual in that the incremental increase in size and weight between models is ralativley slight allowing for fine tuning of balance and capacity. Research the difference in drag design between the stacked discs in the U DD and the compressed twin cones in the similar looking Speedster and tell us what you think.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:01 AM

Yes so the stacked disks seem to have tremendous stopping power and is a design used by many reel manufactures. The conical design of lamson has a large drag surface from its design and seems to have quiet similar stopping power as well. I read somewhere will researching (2012 best gear review mag) online stated that the Litespeed #4 had almost no start up inertia, at least small enough that there equipment couldn't measure it and had over 12 lbs of drag pressure.... But this is the #4 model, with the larger drag, as same with #4 in the Speedster. Another stacked disc design that scored very well was the Galvan Torque T-8. They use high end thermoplastics and anodized aluminum discs. A bit lighter compared to the Speedster. A lot to think about
Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I just spent the past week pike fishing with a 9 foot 9 weight Orvis Silver Label. I use an Orvis Odyssey III on it with a #9 DT line. The reel is a great balance to the rod and the drag is plenty more than ever needed.

So............. I wouldn't sweat the size weight thing, bigger is a good thing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-08-2013, 07:28 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly505 View Post
Great! Thanks for the replies...ya the Speedster #3.5 weighs at 5.7oz vs the #4 at 8.5....I know the majority of this added weight is due to the larger drag. I believe the edge #9 weighs in at 5-5.2 oz...just didnt want to be like "woah...should've got the 3.5" if is gonna be totally out of whack. I believe the larger drag is worth the extra weight, just didnt want to sacrifice alot of cast and feel. I'll have to take a look at the other reels you mentioned, definitely liking the Hardy but not so much on the reflective glare finish. Thanks again and to hear more from you all.

Mark
No problem at all with the Speedster #4 in my opinion. As comparison- my Scott A2 9' 8wt rod weighs 4.2 ounces and it is well balanced with a Ross Canyon Big Game 4 which is just under 10.25 ounces with line and backing.

My 9' 9wt is an old Sage Moderate Action Graphite that weighs 4.65 ounces and it is balanced with a Lamson Saltwater Series Bonefish. This reel is a tank and tips the scales at 12 ounces with line and backing.

I would imagine that the Speeadster 4 with line and backing would likely be at or under 10 ounces, still making for an outfit that will fish very well for your needs and not become fatiguing.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Ard, Imagine this potentiality (as if there are not enough reels already): Your excellent Odyssey was designed by Orvis's Jim Lepage - Lepage has been named by Orvis to be President of recently acquired SA - SA owns Ross Reels and the design rights to the original Charlton reels (with which they have never done anything) - Ross, fine reels though they have made over time, has been in a kind of limbo where no two reels actually share the same drag design, as if trying to reinvent themselves (of course, Evo LT and F1 are fine reels but...) - Orvis, currently, has their top end reels made in Korea. Orvis + SA/Ross + Lepage = ?
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:53 PM

Awesome! Thanks russel and Ard for the input on the various weight comparisons....I feel more at ease now lol. There are definitely a ton of reels on the market these days, I do like the Galvan is family owned and made here in states...although there are some nice gear made overseas as well. Galvan or Lamson...I just don't known!
Hardyreels likes this.