The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By king joe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default St. Croix Spey/Large Arbor Fly Reel LFR910G

Hey Guys
Wasn't sure this would be best place here or in the Spey topic range...but here is where I went.

I have leads on getting the above reel. It is basically new. I would like to put it on my as-yet-unbuilt 13' 7-8 Spey rod. My intention is to be in the Skagit/Rampage 540gr line weight range (man, I talk like I know what I am talking about....I don't...HAH!).

Does anybody know much about this reel? I have basically Googled my face off trying to find reviews but the best I can find are breif notes from St. Croix on this. The 'guy' selling it says it easily has capacity to fit the line (and backing) I am shooting for as the reel is rated as a 9/10.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Re: St. Croix Spey/Large Arbor Fly Reel LFR910G

So...what are the chances? There is another of these reels for sale and again, I am interested. Its weird i can't find barely a description of this reel..even on St. Croix's site.

So....in my last post, I thought I'd be in the Skagit/Rage 540-ish line size. Since then, I have bought a rod blank that is more in the low 500's range, size 7 line.

My potential problem is .... I am working on a good balanced system...and don't want a too oversized reel.

Hopefully, THIS post will trigger a response from somebody that either knows the reel....or can comment on balance. I'll take either.

BUT, since I 'lost' the last opportunity at this reel, I'd hate to miss it again.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Lets make this even more general as it seems nobody has experience with this reel.

Again, intending to use this reel for my spey set up as described above. Apparently, the LFR910G indicates the line size is 9-10. If I am putting this on my, what is effectively a 7 wt Scandi Rod....and going with the 2 lines bigger....can you see this reel being too big or...?

What are your thoughts on this variation of the question?

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

Just taking a shot at this, I've never considered a spey application but as no one else is chiming in - if you want the reel pick it up and you can always add extra backing to put on the 7# line you want too.

As to the reel itself, I've never used a St. Croix reel, have just barely heard of them, but I like their rods.

Jim
Old 08-20-2013, 09:53 PM

smarty140 is on a distinguished road

I don't know anything about their reels, but did get a quick response from one of their reps at the factory in Park Falls, WI when I emailed a question to them about an Imperial rod that I bought this year. You could look at their website and get the address to email to and get any info they have on the reel.
I believe the reels sold under their name were made in China/Korea by someone else, but don't know any specifics for the one you're looking at.
ryan
Old 08-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Hey, thanks jmuehl and smarty140 for the responses.

Who'd of thunk this reel was such a mystery....wow. Its like farting in a croweded elevator....Who dun it?

Anyway....it was tough but managed to find some stuff while I was 'whoring around' looking at other forums sites. Mostly, it is hard to find info....but below, here is one good report I found. Other snippets I found that ellude to the reel suggest good things indeed but the below is a the most comprehensive report.

"It's a little pricier than some others but it has a lifetime garauntee and for my money it is the best reel available: St. Croix Legend LFR 910G. Killer drag, saltwater friendly, beautifully balanced and it sings like pavarotti! It's 230 which is a little more towards mid ranged rather than budget priced but you will thank yourself the first time you hook into a hot wild coho or other such prize."

I also found that this reel is actually designed and built in England by XXX (forgot the name) company which maintains its own line of high quality reels.

jmuehl...yeah, you're right...backing can fill the reel. I was more concerned about balance by way of visuals and 'clunky-ness' (aka too large of a reel). From snippets of info I am finding, this thing is LIGHT and strong so balance is less an issue...and I suppose, I'll deal with the size IF that is an issue in the end.

Thanks for the suggestion, smarty140, to contact St. Croix. I did that earlier when I first found and lost another of these reels (it sold) ...then again earlier this week. NO response either time....bad business...which I suppose may not bode well IF I have issues with the reel later. That said, it does have a lifetime warranty...and while the is likely a limited (original purchaser) warranty, at least there's a place to get it repaired.

Invariably, I am now in discussions with the guy selling it...and arranging time to pick it up (looking like tomorrrow). Pulling the pin THIS time. And, considering, as in the quote, the reel retails around $230-290....and I getting it for under 100....I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now.....HAH

King Joe Outa Here!

Last edited by king joe; 08-22-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: didn't finish my thought in one paragraph
Old 08-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Joe,

I'm in the 'I don't know anything about this reel' group but............ ask the seller for the diameter and width of the spool. Form that info you can figure whether or not the desired lines will fit.

Sorry to see you had to keep bumping this topic to try for an informed answer but the reels must be scarce.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2013, 06:14 PM

So...couple things on this.

First, no sooner did I post here that St. Croix didn't respond to either inquiry to me (one long ago, one recent)....the RESPONDED to me and actually sent a copy of the manual for this reel.

Second....I PICKED UP THE REEL! Actually, I was surprised how light it was...and it is sleek for sure. The combo disc drag is very smooth and I think that will work great. Second, it has a pawl system as well but that can be turned off for silent running.

If anything...for a 9/10 sized reel....it seems small. Sure, its a wide arbor but the inner diameter is big. Mind you, for some time I have been thinking this was gonna be BIG..so big is ok (note the subtle difference..BIG vs big).

I think I will be happy and it will look good WHEN i finish my spey build.

NOW...I just got a lead on a pfluegar Trion...5-6 wt....that will go great on the 5 wt I am building now...and it is.....$40. AWESOME! I'm on a roll.

King Joe Outa Here!
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by king joe; 08-23-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling error