The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chased
  • 2 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough
Default Abel in Pewter or Platinum?

Anyone have an Abel real in either of these colors? I'd like to see a photo. The pictures I see all look different to me. I always thought i liked the pewter more, but I saw a picture of a reel in platinum today (a candid, not from teh Abel website) and thought it looked great. I already have the reel I want in the standard black, but would like to get an extra spool.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:56 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Abel in Pewter or Platinum?

I have had a platinum finish TR Light in the past. Don't get me wrong, Abel's are some of the best reels on the market. However, the platinum finish wasn't for me so I eventually sold the reel. It had a very reflective mirror-like finish. Here are a few pictures I had handy.

-Chase

Click the image to open in full size.

kelkay likes this.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I really like the two tone reels and either platinum or pewter would look good. At first I thought the platinum was too stark, too "mag wheel-like" for my taste, but it is growing on me. The pewter on the other hand is a win from the start, every pic I have seen the color has a bit of blue in it, nice.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

If you're going that direction, go all the way and get platinum. After all, fish are attracted to shiny objects. Just remember to wear a good pair of shades when you're out there.

-VB
Old 06-14-2013, 10:08 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I put a pewter Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor on my four weight. It's beautiful.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
If you're going that direction, go all the way and get platinum. After all, fish are attracted to shiny objects. Just remember to wear a good pair of shades when you're out there.

-VB
Years ago I remember watching a guy casting a rod with a very shinny reel and every time he made a casting move the sun caught it just right and it flashed bright as if he was throwing bolts of lightening across the water.
And I could see this from 1/4 mile away.
It was not very stealthy. I don't think that he caught anything
Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, I fished with an Orvis Mid Arbor reel in Titanium for years and didn't notice that I couldn't catch fish because of the color.

I have a Super 4 in Platinum and am happy with it. It's a great match for my 590. If you like a natural aluminum color or a close match to a nickel reel seat, Platinum is a good option. I saw a Pewter in person once, it has a slight blue tinge to it which looked nice as well. If you are looking for more of a stealth approach, you can't go wrong with Abel's black options either though. Matte or Black, both beautiful.

Don't get me started on the HD Brown, Brook, Von Behr, etc finishes.

Here's the now retired Orvis:

The Abel:

kelkay and von behr like this.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:50 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going pewter.