The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 PM

dennis7490 is on a distinguished road
Default Rebuild old Hardy or buy new

I got some "Made in England" Hardy reels, "Featherweight" & "Lightweight" that are in bad shape. Cost to rebuild is $285 for a Featherweight with extra spool, and $215 for a Lightweight with 2 extra spools. i had bigger ones rebuilt already, and the man who does it does a superb job.
But, these are hard used reels by a dear old friend who passed.
Should I rebuild, or just buy new reels like and Orvis BBS or some other for less or the same money?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rebuild old Hardy or buy new

I would not spend that much to fix them. I would either buy another in better shape, or another kind. You could get a new one, if that is your preference. But that is just me. That is a lot of money to rebuild. You can get a fine classic reel for that price.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dennis,

I don't know your available finances but it sounds as though you're wrestling between spending money to have 2 great reels with some serious sentimental value repaired or buy something cheap that you can fish. Only you can answer this question, it sounds like a pretty personal choice to me.

The cost of a new Hardy Featherweight list is $249 and $279 for a new LRH. You could spend about the same to have both of these rebuilt and preserve the mojo that your friend passed along to you--you can't buy that. For that reason alone, I would keep them and have them rebuilt, even if it were one at a time. That LRH with 2 spare spools will cover a lot of bases and isn't sized much different than the Featherweight. I'd get that one done first and fish it. When you get a little more money built up, have the Featherweight done.

On the other hand, you could always find both of these with some wear and in serviceable condition for around $200 give or take depending on the condition and whether you buy one from another angler on a fishing forum or go to the big auction site. For that matter, find yourself a vintage LRH and use those two spools you have. They should work for you.

If you need something to fish with now, then it might make sense to find a cheapie reel to get you through until one of them are done. You could always sell that once you get one back in service.

Let us know what you do and by all means, if you get them rebuilt, please share before and after photos with us. Many of us here have quite the affinity for those old Hardys, myself included.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 06-14-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 PM

You're exactly right. I will probably get them fixed. He left me with a full set of made in England Hardy reels from the St. Aidan, Princess, Lightweight & Featherweight, too many spools to count, 5 wood rods, and too many graphite rods to count. I already got the two bigger reels done, but i think I will follow your advice, get them done and go fishing!

If I can figure out how to post photos, I will. My son will most likely have to help.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:58 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Rebuild old Hardy or buy new

Ard, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the typical (old) Hardy's have next to nothing in them. A few spring wires and some triangle looking bits (off of memory there). Call Cortland (think that's right) as they're the US distributor and keep a pot full of repalcement parts in stock.

As a DYI this is a 10 minute job, you just have to talk to one of their repair guys as to what you need or send it in). Whom ever is giving you those numbers is 'dancing on your face and suck my middle finger.'

DO NOT TAKE ANY OF THE GUTS OUT until you get the replacement parts; take one out, replace, next, etc. Your cost? Maybe ten bucks?

Fred
Jackster and jaybo41 like this.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 PM

Thanks. I emailed Hardy RE the line guard on the Featherweight and they just said they didn't have it, and ciao bello. Their customer service IMO is a vacuum.
I would rather buy a new Orvis. Their customer service is exemplary.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis7490 View Post
Thanks. I emailed Hardy RE the line guard on the Featherweight and they just said they didn't have it, and ciao bello. Their customer service IMO is a vacuum.
You contacted Hardy, what about Cortland????? Damned little of what Hardy puts out is acutally made in England at this point. Another contact point is Bill Artchuala (spelling!?) in Grants Pass, Oregon. Very little that's broke that he can't fix.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Before you go this route, I have a couple of suggestions.

Parts & Warranty at Hardy was most excellent to me and I think more recently another poster was looking for something similar. I will send you a PM with Ken Hodgen's contact info. He got me the springs and pawls I needed for a 70's LRH Lightweight.

The other option you might consider is to contact Bill Archuleta. He does work on reels and may have the parts you're looking for if Hardy does not. I have heard nothing but glowing reviews in dealing with him. Good call Fred for mentioning him.

You can read more about him here:

http://www.archuletasreelworks.com

I do have a question though, when you say these reels need rebuilt, there shouldn't be much to them like Fred mentioned. What exactly needs to be rebuilt?

Another option is that Orvis might be able to get you springs & pawls for your reels. They're identical to the ones used in CFO 3's. At least the pawls are, the springs could be slightly different.

Here is what you'll need to do in order to post photos of your reels.

A Few Tips For Posting Pictures To The Forums;

By the way, your friend must have thought an awful lot of you. Those reels alone that he passed along to you are wonderful examples of highly functional, yet simple reel designs. Add to that the rods he passed along and I'd say he felt you were a great friend.
fredaevans likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 06-15-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:13 PM

Thank you. The man who did the work on my Aiden & Princess was Bill Archuleta, and he did a superb job. The prices i quoted in the 1rst post were his. They are not unreasonable at all, and dealing with him was a pleasure. The question is, do i want to spend that on older, heavily used reels? the answer is in me, and i thank you for the thoughts. I m quite sure I will eventually get them done and have Bill do them. My experience with him is about as good as it gets. I might just get them done to give to my son. A full set of made in England Hardy Reels could be a nice gift. Other reels I have. Poles i have. Streams are getting rare!

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

"By the way, your friend must have thought an awful lot of you. Those reels alone that he passed along to you are wonderful examples of highly functional, yet simple reel designs. Add to that the rods he passed along and I'd say he felt you were a great friend."

He taught me how to fly fish. He was the older brother/father I never had. Although we lived far apart after i moved away from my home town, we'd meet in Yellowstone and fish the Madison and the Firehole, or in Portland where his kids lived, then drive off and fish the Deschutes. Yes, he thought well of me, but not nearly as well as i thought of him. True mentors are hard to find.
Jackster and jaybo41 like this.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you. The man who did the work on my Aiden & Princess was Bill Archuleta, and he did a superb job. The prices i quoted in the 1rst post were his. They are not unreasonable at all, and dealing with him was a pleasure. The question is, do i want to spend that on older, heavily used reels? the answer is in me, and i thank you for the thoughts. I m quite sure I will eventually get them done and have Bill do them. My experience with him is about as good as it gets. I might just get them done to give to my son. A full set of made in England Hardy Reels could be a nice gift. Other reels I have. Poles i have. Streams are getting rare!

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

"By the way, your friend must have thought an awful lot of you. Those reels alone that he passed along to you are wonderful examples of highly functional, yet simple reel designs. Add to that the rods he passed along and I'd say he felt you were a great friend."

He taught me how to fly fish. He was the older brother/father I never had. Although we lived far apart after i moved away from my home town, we'd meet in Yellowstone and fish the Madison and the Firehole, or in Portland where his kids lived, then drive off and fish the Deschutes. Yes, he thought well of me, but not nearly as well as i thought of him. True mentors are hard to find.
Good stuff dennis, you're on the right track with Archuleta. The more you speak of your friend/mentor the more I believe my opinion on how you should proceed with these reels is the right one. It is not my money however and the repairs needed must be significant, thus I understand why you might be reluctant to invest in restoration. Please do keep us posted.
fredaevans likes this.