The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 02:23 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough
Default Sage 6000 and 8000 series reels?

Anyone have experiance with these reels and saltwater fish? ie Tarpon, Roosterfish, GT's, Dorado, Bone fish.... and so on.

Are they worth the money and do they stack anywhere near Hardy, Tibor, and other high end saltwater reels?

Thanks for info.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage 6000 and 8000 series reels?

I have an 8080. Very smoth reel. Very large too. Mine has 300m of 60lb backing an a WF10 Tarpon line.
They ard finished to a very high standard with no play in the spool. I love the way the spool locks in. Very simple.
I have Abel, Orvis Mirage, and G Loomis/Shimano reels. The Sage is better than the Loomis in every way. The Mirage a more powerful drag finish is close say 95% of the Sage. The Abel has great finish bug very different in the drag etc.
I don't necessarily agree with the Trident reel review re the drag, it is very strong and smooth. Designed by the late Jack Charlton an when you wind it up the drag knob does not get tighter, it remains the same at 1 or 20!!! Very few reels do that.
So all in all the 8000 is recommended by me.
Regards
Gerard
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I had a new 6080 last year. I would say their fit n finish are among the best there is. However I just did not like it. Somehow didn't seem "tough" or strong. Sold it and have a Bauer instead.

When you get in the $450++ range of reels there are some real star products out there. Hatch is a great reel with a proven track record. Tibor has a history of success and satisfied customers that demands your consideration. Abel is like Tibor, proven track record.

I think Orvis top line reels are good (IMHO avoid their mid-range reels as these are just another "china" reel sold in a fancy shop) but just can't stand the always present snooty know it all sales clerks that Orvis seems to attract like flies to sh%$.

Understand that the only good warranty is the one that never needs to be used. Who cares about a "great" warranty if you need it at day 1.5 of a 5 day fishing trip. Never hear of Able, Tibors or Hatches with these issues.

IMHO these "review" on line are limited and one sided. Stay with a top brand and you'll be ok.

Pete A.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I won't say anything bad about Sage saltwater reels. I have fished them (8 and 10 weight models). The drags are smooth and powerful enough for fish in their respective line weight categories. However I prefer the more solid feel of a draw bar style reel like an Abel or a Tibor. Actually all my saltwater reels are Abels. Call it a confidence thing.

Dennis