The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 07:28 PM

navezgane will become famous soon enough
Default Nucast reels

Hello all, first time poster, long time lurker here. I'll buy the beers.
A local vendor has started selling Nucast reels made in California apparently. From handling them they seem nice and smooth, not to mention easy on the eyes and at a decent price ($155ish). Does anyone have any experience with these? I can't find any reviews online and was hoping someone could give me some insight on them here. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nucast reels

I haven't heard of them, but if you have had your hands on them, that should give you a pretty good idea of the quality, the price point certainly is attractive.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I found their website. Looks to be a decent reel. Looks like a copy of the Cheeky reels. I kinda dig they green/gold synergy 2 reel they offer. Buy one and see what happens.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-29-2013, 05:00 AM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

The internals and push button release on the spool look very similar to the G Loomis/Shimano Cross Current reels which are China made. The sizes are similar too.
It might be better/prudent to stick a reel which has a track record.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Interesting, I had to look them up since the only NU-Cast I knew was a casting company lol

Simple looking gear, did not see prices, but may be worth a look if they are priced right. Only way people find new things is by trying.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I looked all over their site and cannot see where they state they are made in the U.S.A.
One would think that at the prices they charge being also made stateside would have other manufacturers (and resellers) running to the re-think tank.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:52 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Hey Jackster,

Well, with no "Made in USA" anywhere, no capacities listed, no weights listed, no material type, anodizing type, drag type, spool release type or interior view:

I wouldn't jump into buying one.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 PM

I called the owner directly and asked him several questions. He sounded like a very straight forward and polite person and informed me without hesitation that they are in fact made in China. The company is based in California.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 PM

Update- I purchased one at a local shop that gave me a good deal (free line) and have used it a few times. I went with the 3/4 wt and put it on an Orvis 8'4 I had. Seems smooth and quiet. I particularly like the larger drag knob, if I ever have to use it... Also the quietness and smoothness, plus it matches the rod.
Not thrilled about buying a made in China reel, but hopefully it holds up for years and fish to come.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

it looks good on that rod atleast!

Storm Drain Bonefisher