The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 08:20 PM

zarick is on a distinguished road
Default Scratching on new echo ion

So.. I swapped my echo solo for an ion. The guy at the fly shop transferred the line for me. I saw him take it out of the box, transfer the line and everything.
Got it home and noticed that on the retrieve side of the cartridge along the edge there are a lot of nicks, dings and scratches. None are severe. I am a bit anal retentive about this stuff... wondering if I should even worry about it... rest of the reel is in perfect shape.

The shop is a drive for me so to return it to get a different one is not a small task. Also I liked the guy at the shop, so I feel a bit bad if I were to return it.

But maybe I shouldn't bother?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scratching on new echo ion

If the scratches bother you, exchange the reel.

I have a feeling that you will probably put scratches on the rim after a few fishing trips. It is not if that will happen, but when it will happen. You can consider them standard wear and tear. You can call them character marks.

Dennis
Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Im wondering how a reel could get scratched just putting line on it. Was it returned and already scratched maybe? Something new should look brand new but it is going to get dinged and scratched. Your call on changing it, but you should have inspected it before you left.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
Im wondering how a reel could get scratched just putting line on it. Was it returned and already scratched maybe? Something new should look brand new but it is going to get dinged and scratched. Your call on changing it, but you should have inspected it before you left.
I have to agree, it's up to you to inspect what you are buying before taking possession of it. I have made the same mistake so hopefully I've learned that lesson. If the reel was sold to you as a new reel and it isn't, return it immediately to prevent any questions regarding your use of it. Just my opinion.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 AM

The rest of the reel looks perfectly new.
There isn't a mark anywhere on the reel except the retrieve side of the cart.
Infact there was even still some manufacturing dust on it.
I am wondering if it banged around the box a bit.

I thought I would contact the manufacturer and get their opinion.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 PM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough

Since its new, and if I paid regular current price, I'd probably want the chance to put the first nicks in it myself. This is kind of timely because I'm suffering a little butt hurt today. Went fishing on Saturday on the Stanislaus in No. Ca and where we were was mostly granite boulders and deep holes with caught up driftwood etc. I took a slider off a rock, scraped my shin, bruised my knee and elbow. Worst part was I dragged my reel on the rock as I went. Flesh heals, scraped anodizing is forever. On the plus side no damage to the rod and it was 104 degrees so no wader damage either.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM

Yeah.. hence the reason returning might be dumb.
Maybe just take this as lesson learned. I guess on the plus side when I do scratch it I won't feel bad.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I guess it really depends on how bad they are. Since your considering not making any sort of deal out of it, I suspect there really not all that bad. Since you shared the story, It's obvious that its still something that bothers you a a little bit.

If it was me, I'd still share my experience, but not ask for any compensation. I've found when handling things in this type of way, people will often be more likely to make you happy.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Honestly I might do something about it if it weren't a 30 minute drive. So it would be over an hour of my time to deal with some cosmetic damage. I think that is where my issue lies.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 PM

So the guys at echo said if I send them my spool they will re-spool me a new cart for free. I am gonna drive it up there as it is closer than the shop.