The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cptxkirk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road
Default New reel

As my other post states I just picked up a 9' 5 weight NRX LP and am looking for a nice new reel to go with.

I own an abel that I have on my switch rod and abaolutly love it. The abel reels are a little bit of a heavier reel and I feel like I would like to keep the weight down and go with something else. What does everyone think for a new reel. I am thinking Hatch fanatic 4

Last edited by chipgerrard; 07-02-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New reel

Hatch reels are nice, but I personally own all the Lamson Guru series and they are awesome for the price! Might want to check out the Lamson website. Also a nice feature is the reels are fully sealed. This is my idea have fun
Old 07-03-2013, 06:51 PM

cptxkirk will become famous soon enoughcptxkirk will become famous soon enough

So if your looking for light look at Galvan Torques or Nautilus FWX! Your other option would be an Abel Super 4N. I just bought a Sage Circa 489-4 and paired it with an Abel Super 3N and it balances phenomenally well. Going down a size in Abel saves you weight but you still retain all the benefits of an Abel. Take it in to your local fly shop and see what pairs well with it.
von behr likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:49 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I would def recomend a hardy lightweight model, maybe the princess would balance that rod nicely. take a look at the hardy line-up of lightweight reels. Another nice reel line to consider for this rod would be the red-truck diesel reels, they are also click n' pawl reels that look very similar to the hardy's. And then I would also recomend the Orvis CFO III, this is a beautiful reel that weighs in at 4.2 oz and would balance well. Clearly Im a fan of classic clicker standard arbor reels, but thats the route I would go. Good Luck. BTW when I owned a 9' 5 weight nrx I balanced it w/ an orvis hydros III large arbor, and it was nice.