The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By caseywise
  • 1 Post By charged

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 10:36 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default side by side reels.....

orvis madison and pflueger medalist reels.

Click the image to open in full size.

on the lookout for some nice glass for these

casey

ARFE
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: side by side reels.....

Have you tried a Kabuto or Epic?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yeah. got my eye on a scott powr-ply as well

ARFE
Old 07-08-2013, 09:32 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Cool thread, I've have a later versioned Orvis Madison that doesn't impress me much. I have been on the look out for a medalist based Madison for some time. Its a reel that still evades me.

I'm just wondering, and would like to ask a question to the man who has both, "Do you think the Orvis version improved on the original?" I honestly like Medalists, and am building up a small collection. This Orvis version is a reel I wish to one day acquire.

I tend to collect both Pfluegers, and Martins. When it comes down to it, I feel there all I really need.
caseywise likes this.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I'll post some picks of mine later today. I'm a sucker for a Medalist or Orvis Madison. I think I have 8 Madisons and 10-12 Medalist, sure sighen of excessive compulsive disorder.

Honest critiques: the Medalist has a better set-up the drag lever seem "hi-tech" on the Madison but the rubber plunger does not have the range of pressure as the Medalist. The Medalist's drag can be fine tuned well

The Madison's spool finish scratches and comes off much easier that the Medalist. Haven't found anything to do a touch up that looks normal.

But I can't pass one up, no way. You might go to Bob Selb's site Classic Fly Fisherman as he has a nice selection of after market parts for these reels. It adds up $$ but when you change reel foot and drag these reels IMHO are better that just about any under $200 reel.

I am addicted to their "clackety clack".

Pete A.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice Casey,

I have sent a message to you about an available rod.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Nice looking reels. I like the Pfluger better but certainly appreciate the Orvis one as well. Very cool reel.

What I find interesting is the drag mechanism for the Orvis. It has a very similar "drag" adjustment knob/mechanism that they use on their early Hardy Made CFO's and BFR CFO's, both of which I don't like as much as the Hardy. In this instance, I like the adjustment of the Pflueger more. Just an observation and a personal preference thing.

Great post.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
orvis madison and pflueger medalist reels.

on the lookout for some nice glass for these

casey
Is this a case of "If you can't create, copy the master."