The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By caseywise
  • 2 Post By tbum2020
  • 2 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road
Default Scientific Angler System 2 reel questions

As part of a package deal I ended up with a SA System 2 56L reel with some extra spools. I assume this is supposed to be a 5/6wt reel? Seems physically small & light compared to other 6/6 reels I have. 3 of the 4 lines on the spools are 4wt. Is this more of a 4 wt reel?
How is the quality & durability on these reels?

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Scientific Angler System 2 reel questions

yeah the sa system 2 reels are small for their size.
i have owned a few from 11-4 wt. and (in the smaller weights,6 and under), went
with a smaller than advised line size.
i think a wf-4 line on that reel would work great
great reels btw!

casey
fysh likes this.

ARFE
Old 07-08-2013, 09:51 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

The specs on the rod show:
160 yds/WF4F
130 yds WF5F
110 yds WF6F

and the info on the reel seems to say that only difference between the 45L and the 56L is the spool, allowing more backing:

System™ 2L Model 56L
Weighing slightly more than the 45L, the 56L has the backing capacity to handle larger trout. It's a great choice for all types of trout and panfish, and it will maintain its high performance for years.

Hope this info helps!!
fysh and caseywise like this.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the day when standard arbor reels were the norm, outside reel diameters were rather small. The classic standard arbor outside diameter for a 5/6 reel measured under three inches. The outside diameter most modern 5/6 large arbor reels ranges from three and a quarter to three and a half inches. Since backing went further toward the spindle, it was common to have more than 100 yards of backing capacity. By today's standards, having more than 100 yards of backing on a 5/6 large arbor reel is considered overkill.

In regards to the specs on the reel, it does not seem heavy. The simple thing is for you to put the reel on the rod and cast it few times. If the rod and reel balance is acceptable to you, you should not have any issues.

Dennis
fysh and caseywise like this.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:17 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Vance, I've got one of those and they're stout little reels. I assume yours has a disc drag in it? The drag is surprisingly effective. A buddy has one and he's landed small coho with it. You can easily fit 100 yards of #20 backing on it with a WF6 line.

The old System 2s were made in England (by BFR I think?)--I have a 7/8 that was--but the later ones made in China are good too. A lot of guys use the bigger ones in the salt.

Scott
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.
Sounds like it will make a great little reel for a 4wt lake rod

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
. A lot of guys use the bigger ones in the salt.
I have 3 of the System 2 reels. The regular ones not the "L" (light)
They were the standard workhorse reel here in the northeast saltwater for many years. Everybody used them. I still do.
oarfish likes this.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've always liked the looks of the old solid faced system 2's.
probably make a great spey reel.

ARFE
Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I've got both the 45L and the 56L. Yes, the 56L is designed for a 5 or 6 line, and has adequate capacity for those, but if you want to put a 4 on it with a little extra backing there's no reason not to.

They were one of the leading models of freshwater reels for many years and are very sturdy. The only thing you need to be careful of is keeping the exposed caliper brake clean. Don't let it get any sand or grit in it, or any lubricant on the brake pads.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:30 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
They were one of the leading models of freshwater reels for many years and are very sturdy. The only thing you need to be careful of is keeping the exposed caliper brake clean. Don't let it get any sand or grit in it, or any lubricant on the brake pads.
Just a addition, you do need to apply a touch of neadsfoot oil on the cork break at the end of season to keep them soft. ( neadsfoot, my spelling is lacking )

Rick