The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:39 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Sage One 990

What fly reel are you currently using you your Sage ONE 990 - or any newer lighter 9' 9 wt. for that matter.

I've been thinking about the following options:

• Abel Super 6/3N Standard Arbor. Can get plenty of 20# on it to accomodate. Owned.
  • Abel Super 7 Large Arbor. Would probably have to consider gelspun backing as it's rated for 8/175 20#. Owned.
  • Use the Super 7 and get a L.A. Spool - 9/275 20# - Purchase consideration for spool. Own the Super 7.
  • Abel Super 9 - Extremely tempting purchase consideration.
  • Hatch Finatic 9+ Never fished one but have read great things about them.
  • Nautilus NV8/9 - Really like the looks of these reels and they also get great reviews.
I've looked at the Hardy Fortuna but nice as it seems, I simply don't want to drop that kind of coin on a Korean made reel. I own a Loop Reel, and I paid big money for that reel made in Korea. I love it. But I don't want to do it again.

Obviously I'm an Abel guy and use them almost exclusively on my big game sticks, with the exception of a back up Lamson. The Abel's in the 001 color are also darn tempting but that only adds to an already expensive reel.

I'm leaning heavily to using the 3N I already own, or purchasing the Super 9. The 3N is awfully narrow at .70 - is it too narrow for a 9 wt. line?
The rod was a pretty significant outlay, I'm not sure if I want to go any further at least initially on a spend.

Interested in your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers,
Mike.

Last edited by chi flyfisher; 07-10-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:19 PM

j lee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage One 990

You might also consider a Galvan Torque. It's a great American made reel, lifetime warranty, excellent drag, attractive design, all at a reasonable price.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by j lee View Post
You might also consider a Galvan Torque. It's a great American made reel, lifetime warranty, excellent drag, attractive design, all at a reasonable price.
Thanks j lee. I've considered the Torque but eliminated it from my short list. They're great reels. I use a Galvan Standard 3.0 for some of my trout fishing and have fished a T-6 of my best buds for Steelhead. Excellent reel. But not what I want for my new 9 wt.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to the Big Game 3N, some people worry about capacity when large lines like Rio Outbound Shorts are used. The oversized heads of those lines take up a lot of space.

I use a standard WF9F bonefish taper on my Big Game 3N. I have 20 pound test Micron backing on mine. I never paid attention to the line winder scale, but I know that I have between 225 and 250 yards.

Dennis
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
In regards to the Big Game 3N, some people worry about capacity when large lines like Rio Outbound Shorts are used. The oversized heads of those lines take up a lot of space.

I use a standard WF9F bonefish taper on my Big Game 3N. I have 20 pound test Micron backing on mine. I never paid attention to the line winder scale, but I know that I have between 225 and 250 yards.

Dennis
Thanks, Dennis. That's helpful.

Checked the lines this morning and I see where I might have a tighter fit than you on my 3N because I plan on using a Steelhead taper on the reel. The RIO Steelhead taper is 110 ft. vs. 100 feet for the Outbound Shorts line. The head weight is also 515 vs. 375. I have that line on one of my spools for the 3N in an 8 wt. and it is a heck of a long thicker head... that could hurt me.

Last edited by chi flyfisher; 07-11-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Checked fly line sizes for comparisons
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Good Morning Mike-

We clearly share tastes in reels- Sage 500 series and Abels, plus I totally understand the hesitance to spend big coin on an overseas product. The Abel Super 9/10N at 8.5 ounces looks like a great option, I like the diameter.

But... I have been lusting after a Billy Pate anti reverse here lately and the Bonefish model is a very worthy consideration, especially for GL steelhead and salmon.

Russell
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
Good Morning Mike-

We clearly share tastes in reels- Sage 500 series and Abels, plus I totally understand the hesitance to spend big coin on an overseas product. The Abel Super 9/10N at 8.5 ounces looks like a great option, I like the diameter.

But... I have been lusting after a Billy Pate anti reverse here lately and the Bonefish model is a very worthy consideration, especially for GL steelhead and salmon.

Russell
Agreed Russell. And if I must say, you have great taste in reels

I'm actually looking at the Super 9 vs. the Super 9/10N. The Super 9 is actually a fraction of an ounce lighter and the spool just a tad wider by .05 inch. It's also a tad smaller in diameter by .05 inch. But the pricing comparison between the two is pretty significant and the amount of "stated" backing is exactly the same at 225 20#. The 9 can be had for a couple hundred less than the 9/10N, which, of course, I can use to justify the purchase should I end up going that route.

I've thought about A/R reels, but have never actually gone in that direction before. I think I'd really want to fish one and spend time on the water with one before I dropped some money on a reel that seems like a pretty drastic change in the "traditional" fly reels I've always used.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

I certainly see the need to fish an A/R before the purchase, my friend had one so I had that opportunity. Good info on the differences between the 9 and 9/10N. Also, I scored a original Swedish made Loop 3W a couple years ago that was in unused condition. I currently have this reel on my Sage RPL 790 and even though it's diameter is huge, the reel weight is super light.
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 PM

Another idea I think I can make work with my current line up is move around a couple of lines and free up my Super 7, use my Super 6 on my 7 wt. (more than enough backing for my 7 wt. purposes @110' 20#) and move my WF 6 to an Abel #1. This frees up my Super 7, which is a little wider but not as deep. It's rated at 8/175' 20# - but I could use Gel Spun and probably get 200' 30# on it with room to spare.

Anyone use Gel Spun to give them the ability to use a smaller rated reel to accomodate a larger line? The balance of the Super 7 on the 990 is excellent. I know plenty of people who use more backing to accomodate a larger reel, but don't often hear about people doing it in reverse - using Gel Spun to accomodate a smaller line rated reel.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM

j lee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Thanks j lee. I've considered the Torque but eliminated it from my short list. They're great reels. I use a Galvan Standard 3.0 for some of my trout fishing and have fished a T-6 of my best buds for Steelhead. Excellent reel. But not what I want for my new 9 wt.

Cheers,
Mike.
Understand. I am probably partial right now since I just bought a Spoke.