The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Click reel - Battenkill or Drift? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/324962-click-reel-battenkill-drift.html)

notenuftoys 07-12-2013 10:29 PM

Click reel - Battenkill or Drift?

So I have a "need" for a classic click reel for my Redington CT 9' 4wt. The cupboard is a little bare right now (more so than usual), so I'm trying to decide between the Orvis Battenkill or the Redington Drift.

I'm leaning towards the Orvis because of it's classic look, but I've seen some comments that it's too light to balance a 9 foot rod. The Redington is a little heavier at 3.5oz. Is anyone here using the Battenkill on a 9ft rod? Am I over-thinking what should be an easy decision?

aggieoutlaw 07-12-2013 11:24 PM

Re: Click reel - Battenkill or Drift?

I don't think you're over thinking it. You're talking about a $100 reel. It's not outrageous but is a significant amount for most of us.

Personally, I think the Orvis clicker will be too light for that rod. I have the older BBS II on my 7'6" CT 2wt and it balances fairly well. The BBS reel is heavier and 762 rod lighter than the combo you are considering. I don't see anyone feeling balanced using that potential combo. I'd go with something heavier and probably heavier than the drift. I use the drift on an 8' 3wt CT. It balances perfectly.

Best luck!

MoscaPescador 07-12-2013 11:44 PM

It is common for people to use 5/6 rated click pawl reels on nine foot four weight rods. These reels are built so light that many feel that the larger model is the right call.

Dennis

moucheur2003 07-13-2013 08:47 AM

You might also look at the LL Bean Pocket Water and the Red Truck Diesel. The Pocket Water is less expensive than the Battenkill. Or if you register on the Red Truck website, you get a member's discount that brings the price of the Diesel down to $140.

I have a Diesel 3-4 and think it is a far superior reel to the Battenkill click. Much sturdier and better engineered (and heavier too, if you're concerned about balance). It is a Hardy knockoff (although a very high quality knockoff) that combines the click check mechanism of the Lightweight series with the palming spool face of the Marquis series. The most comparable competitor would be the old English-made Orvis CFO III click check reels.

glcaddis 07-13-2013 09:16 AM

I agree with going up a size in whatever lightweight reel you chose. In effect you get a large arbor reel and its advantages and maintain the classic look. I have a the Battenkill II on my 3 wt and I wish I had the III, both for retrieve speed and balance. Why makers put these little reels out there is to catch fisherpeople, not fish.

dc1502 07-13-2013 10:20 AM

This would be my choice for the 4wt clicker............. Wychwood River & Stream Fly Reels The lightest fly reel in the world

bobbrown 07-13-2013 02:49 PM

Orvis CFO spring and prawl...buy used if you have to.

bigjim5589 07-13-2013 03:08 PM

I use Okuma Sierra & Cortland Rimfly reels on my 3 & 4 wt rods. Both are great reels for the price, particularly if you need to stay within a specific price range. :)

bobbrown 07-14-2013 09:21 AM

You can get a used CFO on e bay at a good price...far superior to the rest of the reels mentioned.

moucheur2003 07-14-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbrown (Post 572477)
You can get a used CFO on e bay at a good price...far superior to the rest of the reels mentioned.

A used spring and pawl CFO III in good condition will run $150-225 depending on how aggressive the bidding gets. The Red Truck Diesel 3/4 doesn't have the same prestigious cachet as a vintage CFO, but it is a very well designed and built, closely comparable reel for only $140 new. I think it is a better reel than the current disc drag version of the CFO III and is $115 cheaper.

Another good alternative is the J. Austin Forbes Avon. They are no longer in production, but somebody is selling a few on eBay right now for $155. They were originally manufactured in England by JW Young before Young went out of business.