The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: lowest priced machined reel?

i was looking at the warranty/customer service side of it.

ARFE
Old 08-07-2013, 01:46 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

I just bought one of the Clark Reels. This one:

I bought it partly from curiosity. I'll post something here about its quality when I get it.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:26 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
I just bought one of the Clark Reels. This one:

Clark CS 3 4 Bar Stock Click Stop Large Arbor Fly Reel | eBay

I bought it partly from curiosity. I'll post something here about its quality when I get it.
First impression: Better than I expected.

This reel was on ebay for $70/Best Offer. I offered $65 w/shipping. The seller accepted that.

It comes with a good quality neoprene bag.

The machining is very good - not perfect. On a couple of the non-critical surfaces, you can see a few swirl marks. On the critical surfaces, I can't see any stray machining marks at all.

The spool's wobble is very, very slight. Much better than, for example, Okuma SLV. About the same as a Lamson Konic or Guru.

The click-pawl adjustment works by moving the two assemblies closer to one another. Even on the lightest setting, it still prevents backlash when I strip out line as fast as I can. It works in both directions, but is lighter when retrieving line - there's no free spool on retrieval.

The spool comes off by pressing on it with your thumbs, like many other reels. If there's a weak link here, it will be the O-ring that supplies the pressure to hold it together. It's a standard metric O-ring, so it's easy to replace if you need to.

The foot is held on by blind screws from the inside. That leaves the foot's mounting surface for the reel seat completely smooth. There are no holes in it to mar the reel seat - a nice touch.

That's my first impression. Now I have to fish with it. I'll keep you posted.
kelkay, williamhj and dakotakid like this.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

I have a similar experience with mine that I got from a seller that goes by the name of Yukon777. Originally asked him if the reels he was selling (not the one I got) came in any colors. He came back to me that no those didn't but he would check with his mfg and see what he could do. Well $70 to my door with a 1wk lead time for a new reel and in the color I wanted and I have to say I am impressed with what I got vs. my Redington Crosswater 5/6/7wt reel.

Will be taking it to my Orvis 101 class on Sunday and then Monday up to my local spot to try out. Gave a bit of a review in the Ebay Reel thread (though someone came in and threadcrapped it already).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Looks alot like the older Allen Trout reel.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 AM

tx_newb has a spectacular aura abouttx_newb has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
First impression: Better than I expected.

This reel was on ebay for $70/Best Offer. I offered $65 w/shipping. The seller accepted that.

It comes with a good quality neoprene bag.

The machining is very good - not perfect. On a couple of the non-critical surfaces, you can see a few swirl marks. On the critical surfaces, I can't see any stray machining marks at all.

The spool's wobble is very, very slight. Much better than, for example, Okuma SLV. About the same as a Lamson Konic or Guru.

The click-pawl adjustment works by moving the two assemblies closer to one another. Even on the lightest setting, it still prevents backlash when I strip out line as fast as I can. It works in both directions, but is lighter when retrieving line - there's no free spool on retrieval.

The spool comes off by pressing on it with your thumbs, like many other reels. If there's a weak link here, it will be the O-ring that supplies the pressure to hold it together. It's a standard metric O-ring, so it's easy to replace if you need to.

The foot is held on by blind screws from the inside. That leaves the foot's mounting surface for the reel seat completely smooth. There are no holes in it to mar the reel seat - a nice touch.

That's my first impression. Now I have to fish with it. I'll keep you posted.
Any update on this reel since you've had some time to fish with it? I'm looking at purchasing my first setup (well first since I last fly fished about 15 years ago). I was considering putting the Clark VIS 5/6/7 on a TFO Pro II, but there doesn't seem to be much information out on the Clark reels other than a few short reviews on ebay. Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:54 AM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

I didnt get the clark reel but did get one of the machined reels.. So far it has been a very nice reel for the money with one drawback. That drawback is that on the positive reel in there is no "clicking" sound and no engagement of any pawls or anything so you can inadvertently hit the reel handle and reel some line in slightly. While not a big deal I do like hearing the "click,click,click" as you are reeling in. Not a big negative but something to note. The Clark may or may not be the same.

If you have the money, grab one of the Allen fly reels, customer service on here has been exceptional and their reels look amazing and have had great reviews. Had I not been impatient I could have picked up an Allen Trout II with Spare Spool for a little more than my reel cost me and it would have come with the great Allen customer service. Probably next year I will grab a Trout II, Kraken, or Omega.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
If you have the money.
Hey All, Even if your not able to get something from us. Please contact me. I like to work with people. I've done payment plans on top of a discount just on good faith and its never failed.

If you do purchase one of these reels and something happens to it we can try to warranty it. Business is about growth. However, we all share a passion and no one should be without the tools to enjoy the sport.

Thank you,

Justin
Joni, kelkay, caseywise and 2 others like this.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM

dar is on a distinguished road

If I were looking for a new fly reel I would most likely get an Allen reel. I have a Model 2 Trout II on my 5wt and really like it. Great craftmanship for a machined reel. While I have no personal experience, I would also think their ATS reel would be a good buy.

Dave
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_newb View Post
Any update on this reel since you've had some time to fish with it? I'm looking at purchasing my first setup (well first since I last fly fished about 15 years ago). I was considering putting the Clark VIS 5/6/7 on a TFO Pro II, but there doesn't seem to be much information out on the Clark reels other than a few short reviews on ebay. Thoughts?
I've used it about 5 times. Everything is still the same.
It clicks in both directions, but is lighter on retrieve.
The spool still doesn't wobble.
So far, at least, it hasn't given me any trouble. But, fishing for trout, I'm not using the drag at all. It just holds line. It does a fine job of that.
Plus, it looks pretty good.