The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 03:41 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 has a spectacular aura aboutMAD777 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
I've used it about 5 times. Everything is still the same.
It clicks in both directions, but is lighter on retrieve.
The spool still doesn't wobble.
So far, at least, it hasn't given me any trouble. But, fishing for trout, I'm not using the drag at all. It just holds line. It does a fine job of that.
Plus, it looks pretty good.
One more question plecain, if you don't mind, do the quoted specs for weight and diameter match the actual weight and dimensions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-28-2013, 12:16 AM

jmhall87 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: lowest priced machined reel?

Just got my redington drift 3/4 for my latest ct purchase (love those rods) 99 bucks shipped not a single piece of plastic in it. Haven't fished with it yet, but it looks great feels great, and sounds great love click pawls.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Casey Wise has a Teton Tioga for sale here for $80 and it's American made. Sharp reel too, FS - teton tioga 6 fly reel mint

Ard
caseywise likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-28-2013, 01:28 AM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

This thread got me curious so I was just looking on ebay. Some of those cnc china reels are well over 100 bucks. They do look decent from 8000 miles away, but that is a lot of money for the very little info you get before you pay. Not a chance I would spend much on something like that. Let that thing pop in 4 months when you can no longer post feedback and I bet you would be out of luck. Way too many other options are available and I know I will be taken care of later if something bad happens.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:36 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
One more question plecain, if you don't mind, do the quoted specs for weight and diameter match the actual weight and dimensions?
On this one they did. The specs in the auction listing looked like they had been copied from the sheet that was in the box.

I can't say how well others match.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

I bought two of the cheap cast china reels. From the limited pictures on the popular auction site it appeared to have the same drag as most of the sub $100 dollar reels. I paid around $14 inc shipping. They sell frequent around $30-$40. For me $14- $20 is all this reel is worth and the machined version maybe double that. The drag is for the most part useless except to prevent over run. I took one apart to see how it's made and the disk is thin and flexible. Long story short I toasted the drag washer stripping line on one. I bought them for my kids to each have a reel I don't care about to use. I knew exactly what I was doing and getting into. I wouldn't consider this drag in the salt period. A thicker plain ole white Teflon washer would probably be better than what is in it.

Getting into the $100-$150 reels they start looking decent but at that point you can get a well proven cast USA reel new. Then In the $150-$200 range I can get something like the Tetons or a close out USA or English made machined reel with a proven drag and a company that will back them. For me it's a no contest. I'm going with proven reliability.

If I come come across one of the $100-$150 china reels for $50 would I try it. Maybe. With used Tetons / Tiogas selling under $100 its hard to buy Chinese.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:15 PM

leaded50 is on a distinguished road

look at the HVC reel (original) and you got a lot of others with other brands.....made as HVC´s (as Clark´s version pictured in this tread)

Its a great reel! Quality.....well, a lot of reels are China made this days....