The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome Home! Allen's first USA made fly reel

Congratulations Justin, that's wonderful news. I'm all for bringing home manufacturing wherever possible.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Look forward to seeing the reel
Old 08-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Congratulations Justin, that's wonderful news. I'm all for bringing home manufacturing wherever possible.
Agreed, I stay in contact with many of my old suppliers/customers from my past when running a mfg company and it's a topic of conversation every time we get a chance to BS. We have great relationships with our suppliers in China/Korea and will continue that. I visit them 3 to 4 times a year. I just got back from my last visit this week. We just feel the company will be better suited for success by splitting what's made where and everyone will win in the long run.

The overall plan is to have the reel made in Canada as well for Canadians to have a reel that's made in Canada. That's more long term, but something to think about.

I had several mold makers in Windsor, ON making molds for us in the past. Most were for the RV and Truck/Trailer Industries. I know Americans are proud and Canadians are equally proud of there machining capabilities. I feel it's a since of pride and it should be and AFF want's to be apart of that.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 11:20 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Justin, bringing back home the manufacturing. I am sure many of us would enjoy reading a report on the difficulties of starting manufacturing here and how you weighed product quality versus cost. I understand there is a certain pride and cost benefit from being able to stamp "Made In America" on your reels, but wondered if indeed there is a marked improvement in quality when manufactured here?

Not looking for company secrets, but would find it interesting to read a broad overview of the process, that led you back home.

LOL, you answered some of the questions while I was writing this!

Dave
Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

This is great news. You know I'm possibly your biggest fanboy. I can't wait to get my new 8 wieght 2 hander. Now I'm going have to buy one of these for it. IMO all excuses for some people not purchasing from Allen have been removed.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Not looking for company secrets, but would find it interesting to read a broad overview of the process, that led you back home.
Dave
Hi Dave,

I come from a mfg family that was started in 1961. I was the 3rd generation to run the place. Started when I was 13 coming in after school to sweep the floors. So I have a personal attachment to have something of my company to be made here for various reasons.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 01:09 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

Wow now I really feel bad. Just paid half the cost of the Trout II to have a special made reel from china in a similar green. Then I look on your site (never saw it before) and see your deal of the week...

Glad to hear that you are bringing some mfg back to the US. Had I known about your company previously I would have just spent the little extra money and gone with you (the fact of you adding more jobs to the US would have made it a sweeter deal).

Oh well, I am just getting into this sport and see it being like my mtbing and Land Cruiser... em... addictions, so I am sure I will "need" another rod and reel in the near future!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_aff View Post
We are proud to announce the completion of our first USA made fly reel. Development is winding up, patents are pending, and production is just about to get under way!

This beautiful, fully machined reel is being manufactured in my home state of Michigan. Being from a midwest manufacturing family, having products made close to home has always been a top priority of mine.

We have done several tests on and off the water, and are now going straight to the biggest, baddest fish we could test it on. We just booked our company trip to catch Mako sharks near San Diego this September.

After numerous design changes, prototypes, tests, and finally, a patent on the finished product, we're more than confident in this reel to not only handle any big game fish out there, but to satisfy even the anglers with the highest standards for their equipment.

We will post photos, pricing details, and the official name in the coming days. Additional photos of the drag will follow after the patent is official.

Thanks!
Justin
Is this reel going to be only a big game fish reel?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:11 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Might Allen be considering a retro/classic style fly reel ? (hint hint!)
caseywise, itchmesir and petee like this.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Business Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
Is this reel going to be only a big game fish reel?
nope, we will release it in a 5wt as well