The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 11:49 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default "CLARK" reels?

I have been looking at them on an auction site, does anyone have any experience with these?

thanks
Old 07-21-2013, 12:07 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: "CLARK" reels?

Have no experience and had not even heard of them. Did a quick search & looks like a nice reel. Features such as sealed drags are great, and usually only found on much more expensive reels.

Doesn't say where they're made. If they're being made in the US, (which I doubt) his prices are great. If he's having them made, like in China, still not bad prices. Put's me in mind of Allen, and there's been some posts on here & other fly fishing forums I frequent that folks are very happy with Allen reels.

IMO, would be worth checking out.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:46 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, I've never heard of them either.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I've also just noticed them on Ebay I'd not heard of them either until a couple of weeks ago.
Brian
Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I went and looked at them. The seller is John D Clark. Maybe he is making them himself. It wouldn't hurt to shoot him a message, to find out more about them. They look good.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:18 PM

leaded50 is on a distinguished road

check out the HVC China made, but great reel. Quality is decent, discdrag very good, ..... and as the Clark reel (?)
Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

OK, lets be clear; reels like the no-name, presumably Chinese reels on e-bay are not made by "Clark" or even for Clark. Chinese boiler-plate reels are a dime a dozen and are produced by the container-load. One goes to the giant fishing trade show there (which I have never done but friends have) selects an existing ripped-off reel, specifies a color, machining variation on a theme, name and model number graphics and gives them money. A month or so later you put up a web site or, in this case, sell via auction and you are in the reel business. You need not know anything about reel design. I am not saying reels like these are junk, to the contrary, many are vary satisfied with re-branded big box store reels and many other products. Nor am I saying that a fishing company that has their reel designed in house but fabricated to their precise specs off shore is bad either...and there is a big difference between the made for reel and the rip off of that reel sold on an auction site. I have seen but not fished one of these Clark sealed drag reels and it struck me as superior in design to a number of made in America reels costing several times more from popular brands. We, the fly fishing consumer, drive demand for both the cheapest product available and the finest, made in America, work of reel art.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:18 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

I have one. Paid $65 for it.

It's very well made. The machining is very good, but not great. There are a few swirl marks on non-critical surfaces.

So far, I've used it about five times. It's used for smallish trout. Its click-pawl drag is just fine for this application.
Curtis likes this.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm still waiting for someone to swoop down on the Teton Tioga casywise is selling in the classifieds here. Affordable - yes, USA made Machined reel _ yes, I simply don't need it or I would buy it today.
caseywise likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-30-2013, 04:40 PM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

Ard, you're really trying to sell that reel Caseywise has up. I was going to make a joke about him using the money towards a guided trip in Ak but don't want it to be taken wrong.

For me it's no contest. That Tioga would be on its way to Md. if I needed a 6wt. reel. Them Tetons are tough and well made.
caseywise likes this.