The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 AM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough
Default Any Thoughts on the Hardy Ultralight 4000 reel?

Anyone have any experience with the Hardy DD Ultralight 4000. I was thinking of getting one to pair with a Orvis H2 9' 5wt.

It's obviously not the priority, but i quite like the grey color of the reel (similar to the black nickel of the Orvis Mirage (but half the price)).
Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any Thoughts on the Hardy Ultralight 4000 reel?

They look a beaut Reel I'd like one however I've too many already & I can only use one at a time then again The Scientific System 6 looks good also.
Brian
Old 07-22-2013, 08:44 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have a Hardy DD and its AWESOME.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I'd agree that the reel is an overall winner. My only complaint with the 5000 DD that I have is that the reel seat screws seem to loosen themselves constantly. A little locktite and it's fixed, but I would not have expected that from a respected brand such as Hardy.

The customer service I experienced when I called for a replacement screw that was lost after it loosened up was also not quite on par to what I would have expected from them either. My experience has probably soured me a bit on Hardy, but I can't deny that the reel is sharp looking, and will do a fine job for you on your H2.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 AM

furnacefella has a spectacular aura aboutfurnacefella has a spectacular aura about

I have not had them a long time but so far I am very impressed. They are not only good looking but the finish work is very nice. May seem like a small thing but when you tighten the nut for the spool the logo is exactly straight and there is no wobble.

I have got the little one on my 4 wt. ZXL and they were made for each other. I fish Browns in small streams and having a smooth drag is important considering the 6 or 7x tippet one needs to fool these guys and the unexpected runs they go on. I have tied into some well over 20 inches and never felt I was anything but in control with this setup.

Here is from yesterday's outing,

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I was so impressed infact that I grabbed another one for my Z-Axis replacing a much more exspensive reel. I think these are the best value out there and although not cheap they are on par or better than many reels costing twice as much.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Two thumbs up from me!
kelkay likes this.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:10 AM

Thanks for all feedback guys, it seems these do look a good bet. I like the little touch that the logo is properly aligned when the nut is tightened. Shows there is some thought involved in the design an manufacture.

Nice fish furnacefella, reel looks pretty cool with the orange backing too, i usually just use white, but might put the orange on this one.

My local fly shop is a hardy dealer, i'll think i'll stop by in the next couple of days and take a look.

Anyone got any opinions on which size might be better proportioned on a 5wt, 4000 of 3000? Since its an ultra large arbor, i might get away with the 3000.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

Ive had the 4000 since they came out. It works great on my 5wt. TFO and is a very modern classic reel
Old 07-22-2013, 01:56 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Hardy Fly - Products - Reels - Performance Reels - Ultralite Disc Drag

I just went there to LOOK. OH MY. Stunning reel. Simi sealed though? That is confusing on maintenance. Are these made in England? I just watched that video on the link. I did NOT need to see that...LOL. Now I want one. That is one heck of a sweet looking, and SOUNDING reel. I could use a 10-12 step program for my reel addiction, I think.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Are these made in England?

They're made in Korea i believe. Not surprising given the competitive price I guess
Old 07-22-2013, 04:46 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Okay, thanks. I am not surprised either. That is a price I might be able to hit one of these days.