The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   click and pawl maintenance? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/326083-click-pawl-maintenance.html)

turbineblade 07-24-2013 09:47 AM

click and pawl maintenance?

Hi -- I just ordered a few martin "tuna can" reels from ebay for a good price. I also have a new orvis battenkill I that I really like for my light outfit.

What kind of cleaning should I be doing on these? They look pretty simple -- eerything is easy to get to.

Do you guys apply any kind of lubricant to the internals, or is it not really necessary?

Thanks -- :)

MoscaPescador 07-24-2013 09:57 AM

Re: click and pawl maintenance?

You can do things.
1. Wipe away any dirty grease build up.
2. Apply some grease to the moving parts (springs, pawls, gear). There are a bunch of reel greases that you can get.

Dennis

bigjim5589 07-24-2013 09:58 AM

I clean mine with an old tooth brush & alcohol to remove dirt or grit, and wipe with a clean rag (old clothing). For lube I use either some grease I have for my baitcasters, such as ABU's silicote, or Vaseline. For oil, I use either some reel oil I got that has Zebco on the tube, or 3 in 1 oil. Only need a tiny bit, a drop or two.

Since there's not usually a lot of friction on a reel of this type, it's not necessary to get too hi-tech with lubes. Even the Vaseline is as good as you really need to keep from having metal to metal wear.

I use a Q-tip to apply the Vaseline. I like easy & cheap! ;)

Rip Tide 07-24-2013 10:22 AM

I've used axle grease on mine :D

If you use something thick like vaseline or grease, you only want the slightest coating. Any more will accumulate grit.

random user 07-24-2013 10:40 AM

I've used "never seize' and other similar anit-sieze lubricants for my whole life.

Auto stuff is suppose to be for fly reals and most of it is horrific for fly lines.

The good thing about Never Seize is that it is pretty much a graphite suspension. When the oil/grease dissipates you end up with the graphite stuck to the surfaces. Its fairly dry, very water proof and doesn't pick up dust and debris much.

Light applications with a q-tip have never caused me any trouble.

For cleaning, I usually soak reels in a 20% solution of simple green and go after teh tough spots with a nylon brush and or compressed air.

Last reel I cleaned, a new-to-me Bristol 65, I put in a plastic shoe box with 20% simple green and a small aquarium water pump and gently blasted everything off.

dhaynes 07-24-2013 05:43 PM

I bought a little tube of Penn Reel Lube from a tackle shop...think I paid a buck for it... I use it for almost any fishing gear that needs a little lubing... seems to work fine.

kelkay 07-24-2013 06:11 PM

Yamalube Multi-Purpose Grease in a tub, will give you a lifetime supply. (it is red in color) You can apply it with a soft paint brush. It is a little bit like soft jello. You can mix a little bit of reel oil such as Hot Sauce, to thin it, if need be. I use Hot Sauce grease and Hot Sauce oil for many of my reels. You can also use a light oil such as sewing machine oil, or 3 in 1.