The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default click and pawl maintenance?

Hi -- I just ordered a few martin "tuna can" reels from ebay for a good price. I also have a new orvis battenkill I that I really like for my light outfit.

What kind of cleaning should I be doing on these? They look pretty simple -- eerything is easy to get to.

Do you guys apply any kind of lubricant to the internals, or is it not really necessary?

Thanks --
Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: click and pawl maintenance?

You can do things.
1. Wipe away any dirty grease build up.
2. Apply some grease to the moving parts (springs, pawls, gear). There are a bunch of reel greases that you can get.

Dennis
Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I clean mine with an old tooth brush & alcohol to remove dirt or grit, and wipe with a clean rag (old clothing). For lube I use either some grease I have for my baitcasters, such as ABU's silicote, or Vaseline. For oil, I use either some reel oil I got that has Zebco on the tube, or 3 in 1 oil. Only need a tiny bit, a drop or two.

Since there's not usually a lot of friction on a reel of this type, it's not necessary to get too hi-tech with lubes. Even the Vaseline is as good as you really need to keep from having metal to metal wear.

I use a Q-tip to apply the Vaseline. I like easy & cheap!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've used axle grease on mine

If you use something thick like vaseline or grease, you only want the slightest coating. Any more will accumulate grit.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I've used "never seize' and other similar anit-sieze lubricants for my whole life.

Auto stuff is suppose to be for fly reals and most of it is horrific for fly lines.

The good thing about Never Seize is that it is pretty much a graphite suspension. When the oil/grease dissipates you end up with the graphite stuck to the surfaces. Its fairly dry, very water proof and doesn't pick up dust and debris much.

Light applications with a q-tip have never caused me any trouble.

For cleaning, I usually soak reels in a 20% solution of simple green and go after teh tough spots with a nylon brush and or compressed air.

Last reel I cleaned, a new-to-me Bristol 65, I put in a plastic shoe box with 20% simple green and a small aquarium water pump and gently blasted everything off.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

I bought a little tube of Penn Reel Lube from a tackle shop...think I paid a buck for it... I use it for almost any fishing gear that needs a little lubing... seems to work fine.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:11 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Yamalube Multi-Purpose Grease in a tub, will give you a lifetime supply. (it is red in color) You can apply it with a soft paint brush. It is a little bit like soft jello. You can mix a little bit of reel oil such as Hot Sauce, to thin it, if need be. I use Hot Sauce grease and Hot Sauce oil for many of my reels. You can also use a light oil such as sewing machine oil, or 3 in 1.