The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 AM

sneltyr is on a distinguished road
Default 8wt. Reel Advice

I have a Redington Rise II with extra spool that I really like. The Rod is a Sage TCX.

I was discouraged to see the Drag Strength test on the Redington Rise performed by Trident Fly Fishing

2013 8-Weight Challenge: Fly Reel Review / Trident Fly Fishing

The Rise had the weakest drag tested at <3lb. I contacted Trident to see if the Rise tested was the Rise II. They said the reel tested was the Rise II.

I love the Rise II and am more than happy to keep it for Freshwater.

That leaves me needed an 8wt Saltwater reel & maybe even extra spool for sinking line. I need a reel that will do well with the TCX & prefer one with a sealed drag and easy spool switch out. The reel will be used for Reds, Trout and Bonefish.

So here is the question - I am a fan of everything I have read about the Galvan Torque T8 and also the Hatch Finatic 7. I am curious what the drag strength rating would be on the Galvan Torque T8 since it was not included in the Trident test.

Does anyone have experience with the Hatch & Galvan? I can get the Galvan T8 and extra spool for the price of the Hatch.

Thanks much for any input
Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8wt. Reel Advice

Hi,

I can't quantify the drag strength test, but I can tell you that lots of folks use Galvan Reels in both salt and freshwater. My T-6 has never let me down on Lake Run steelbows, I've never felt under gunned in the least bit. Lots of folks use them chasing sea run anadromous fish, which I think speaks volumes about the confidence Galvan owners have in their reels. By the way, the same drag that's in the Torque is also in the Rush series, the added cost is in the machining of the reels themselves.

swirlchaser uses a T-12 in the salt, you might ask him about his experience with his.

I haven't personal experience with Hatch reels but have read lots of good things about them.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 PM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

Might want to check out the Lamson Guru reels. The 3 or 3.5 will do for the rod you have. I have the whole Guru collection and will say they have amazing drag system and also fully sealed. Money wise I will say they are one of the best for the money.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I don't own either reel, but I have fished them (actually the Hatch was the Monsoon - same reel, different machining). Both drag systems are very smooth from bottom to top. However I feel that the Hatch has a bit more top end drag just in case you need it. For the species that you intend to target, both reels will be fine.

If I had to make a choice based off of putting my hands on the reel, I would choose the Hatch. It just seems solid. A solid machined screw holds the spool in place. The reel foot is part of the frame. The machining quality is top notch.

If I had to make a choice based off of the company reputation, I would choose the Galvan. Galvan Reels is a small business based in the Sierra foothills of California. The Galvan family makes its rounds to sports shows all over the nation to plug its products and to see its customers. If you ever have a customer service issue, your phone or e-mail question will be answered by a Galvan.

Dennis
jaybo41 and grouch like this.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

im not going to try and sway you one way or another from Galvin or Hatch, ( I personally would do the T-6 in bronze, I think they look better ) I just wanted to throw this out there for you. This, is the Sage 1880...it finished 3rd in their 8wt reel test, and now can be had for a mear 79 dollars.

Sage 1800 Series Fly Reel : Cabela's

Just food for thought.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Hi Dennis,

I think this is the first time I've ever disagreed with you on anything, but I got to bring it up. It's really not that big a deal anyhow, except to me. I'm very adept at forgetting reels on car roofs etc.

I think Hatch shouldn't have machined the reel foot out of the same bar stock as the frame. It not only wastes a considerable amount of material, but it is a more expensive machining process as well.

But even more than that, the most common thing to bend when dropping a heavy reel on tile or concrete (or a coral roadway) is the reel foot. So long as the spool is in the reel on most quality reels, the spool supports the frame and the frame supports the spool. So neither is able to deflect far enough to take a permanent bend.

Not so with the reel foot. In fact I have one on my Gulfstream that I was able to bend back with 2 pair of vice grips then file down enough to fit back into the reel seat. Speaking of which, I have to call Tibor for a new one to screw back on.

But had that been part of the frame, and it had been not been so easy to "fix", I'd be looking at a whole lot more money than whatever the new reel foot will cost, and if not, I'd be stuck forever with a poorly fitting reel foot.

Otherwise, I've heard nothing but praise for the Hatch reels.

PS: Edit I read the review and see that the reviewers thought 7 lbs of drag was a little light for an eight weight. Personally, I'd be happy enough with 4 lbs. on an eight weight if it were smooth and reliable. Dead lift 4 pounds with your 8wt sometime and see what you think.

Last edited by wjc; 07-24-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:07 AM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

There are so many great reels out there.

I recently inherited a my first Nautilus, a CCF I am impressed by it.
My Old Florida #4 has served me well and though the company name has change I expect the same level of performance from my CCF.

The Nautilus FWX is prices fair and seems to meet you needs.

I also have a Tibor Back County that is a beaut, it has handled some nice fish in fresh and the salt.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:07 AM

sneltyr is on a distinguished road

sti geoff

Quote:
im not going to try and sway you one way or another from Galvin or Hatch, ( I personally would do the T-6 in bronze, I think they look better ) I just wanted to throw this out there for you. This, is the Sage 1880...it finished 3rd in their 8wt reel test, and now can be had for a mear 79 dollars.

Sage 1800 Series Fly Reel : Cabela's

Just food for thought.
I actually did order the Sage 1880 for my wife. I picked up the reel for $79 from Cabelas as you suggested.
Also, you mentioned the T6. Are you just saying you like the bronze color the best or were you suggesting putting a T6 on an 8wt?

The Sage 1880 would probably work for me too but I just have a thing for the machined reels & anodized aluminum.

Quote:
Re: 8wt. Reel Advice
There are so many great reels out there.

I recently inherited a my first Nautilus, a CCF I am impressed by it.
My Old Florida #4 has served me well and though the company name has change I expect the same level of performance from my CCF.

The Nautilus FWX is prices fair and seems to meet you needs.

I also have a Tibor Back County that is a beaut, it has handled some nice fish in fresh and the salt.
I know there are a bunch of great reels. I have mostly ruled them out for one reason or another. I know that there are several others that will perform as well and provide years of service (Abel, Tibor). I've just narrowed it down to Galvan & Hatch for what appeals to me.

I think I'm leaning toward the Galvan. Everything I've read shows the drag to be plenty sufficient for Reds, Specs and Bones. If I ever end up casting to Permit and Tarpon it will be with a Guide's equipment. The tough thing is its hard to get my hands on a Galvin to check out in Houston.

Quote:
If I had to make a choice based off of the company reputation, I would choose the Galvan. Galvan Reels is a small business based in the Sierra foothills of California. The Galvan family makes its rounds to sports shows all over the nation to plug its products and to see its customers. If you ever have a customer service issue, your phone or e-mail question will be answered by a Galvan.
Dennis - Great points - Thanks Much
Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneltyr View Post
I actually did order the Sage 1880 for my wife. I picked up the reel for $79 from Cabelas as you suggested.
Also, you mentioned the T6. Are you just saying you like the bronze color the best or were you suggesting putting a T6 on an 8wt?

The Sage 1880 would probably work for me too but I just have a thing for the machined reels & anodized aluminum.
T6 was a typo...I meant T8 on the 8wt...in bronze. Just to make it obnoxious looking on that bright green blank! i would agree with having a thing for anodized aluminm, especially if its crazy colors!

I have a very old base level galvan reel, its nice for what it is.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Firstly, I do not believe there are very many great reels out there...more reels than ever? Yes. Many are not up to an 8 weight rods intended tasks, however. The Hatch is and, though I am sure someone has done it, I have yet to see a deformed reel foot. I have seen loose even missing screws on other reels though. I have one months experience with a Galvan Torque now and I like it. I wrote several months ago that I was intrigued by them and I did get one, a T-6 for my NRX #4...at 5.2 OZ. a perfect balance. I have a Hatch for trout and one for bones and Hatch seems more a salt reel to me. The Galvan on the other hand strikes me as more a trout reel. Nautilus FWX too is a trout reel to me and their NV is salty for sure. Similarly the Hardy Ultralite DD seems freshwater oriented while their Fortuna is clearly salt only. The Cheeky Reels feel salty to me as well. I am running out of reels to name without getting into the Abel/Tibor/Islander draw-bar triplets... One thing I like on a saltwater (or any reel for that matter) is a captive threaded spool release; spring loaded release mechanisms are far less trustworthy. The reel comparison referred to above, as much as I enjoy comparative analysis, was not that well informed or inclusive and many reels have much stronger drags than angling circumstances are likely to call for.